looking for an aftermarket amp to replace the stock bose amp in a g35

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kcthomas, May 14, 2008.

1. kcthomas

kcthomas I OT Supporter

I want to replace my stock bose amp with an aftermarket amp for better sound quality and also to provide an extra channel to power a sub.

*im looking at one rockford fosgate punch 2 12" sub (200w rms)
    *amplifier needs to be able to accept differential-balanced inputs so i dont need a LOC to adapt to the stock HU

any recomendations? maybe in the 300-400 price range? whats the best bang for buck to get what i need?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you're replacing the amp, you will want to replace the speakers, too. otherwise, just get a small monoblock for the sub.

3. kcthomas

kcthomas I OT Supporter

i might down the road, but not now. ive heard from people who have replaced just the amp and its made a noticeable difference (the "premium" bose system is pretty crappy to begin with). i was originally just going to get a mono amp + woofer but noticed i could upgrade the overall sound with an aftermarket amp too

a quick browse through reviews has led me to something like the alpine pdx-5

4. kcthomas

kcthomas I OT Supporter

i might also just get 2 separate amps, but the one would be sweet cause i could just hide it where the stock one is now. if i split em up, i would probably just get the sub amp now

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Perhaps the g35 is different. I have not worked specifically with that vehicle. However in my experience, ripping out the "premium" systems in a few toyotas, chevys, and volvos, is that the stock speakers are matched with the amp. Neither are very good, but they are built to play off each others weaknesses/strengths. Getting just a $150 set of components to go with that new amp is going to give you dramatically better sound.

6. kcthomas

kcthomas I OT Supporter

im sure thats the case, and i might do that down the road a bit. afaik the bose system has 8 speakers, would i have to replace all of them?

it sounds like the weakest link in the system is the amp, so thats definately the starting point.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

OEMs often count tweeters and other parts of component systems as individual speakers... So 2-way components in the front could be counted as "4" speakers, and 2-way components in the rear could be counted as another "4" speakers. A typical configuration is really 6-channels, where you have components in the front (speakers in the doors with tweets up near the dash), and then coaxials or full-range speakers in the rear doors and rear deck area. At any rate, I would recommend you remove the rear deck speakers. Focus on good speakers in the front. In my Volvo I left nothing in the rears and it sounded great. In the Tundra I left OEM speakers in the rear with the fader biased towards the front. That way there was a little rear fill, but my new front speakers were providing the main stage.

It won't hurt you to do a little trial-and-error. But I do recommend new speakers in the front if you change the amp.

8. kcthomas

kcthomas I OT Supporter

thanks for the help..any recs on a 5 channel amp or a 4 channel and a sub amp? i could at least hide the 4 channel where the stock one is now

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what kind of speakers would you be running?

10. kcthomas

kcthomas I OT Supporter

for now..the stock bose speakers