Looking for a unique part...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlazinBlazer Guy, Sep 24, 2003.

1. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'm having no luck finding something like this, if its even made.

What I'd like is an A/B type switch for IDE devices so that I can have 2 or possibly 3 different HDDS all setup as primary master drives with separate OSs on them.. this way I don't have to mess with partitioning and doing a multi-boot HDD, and also I can put some of my spare drives to use. What I'm looking at innitially is running dual units, one with XP Pro and the other with Linux. Eventually I'll add 2003 Server (once my liscense from the school goes through, I've been working with the 120-day demo on my laptop) and hopefully be able to get the release candidates for longhorn early on once they're out.

is anything like this even available? Thanks to anyone who can give me some leads.

2. dingo

dingo Ron Paul 2008

Yes there is... I just searched around on google and was unable to find it. I don't remember the exact name, but it was a 3-4 port IDE switch that fit in a 5 1/4" drive bay. I almost bought one

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I remember seeing those before, but I have no idea where. But just to let you know something like that does exist. :big grin:

4. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

5. dingo

dingo Ron Paul 2008

Woa, that is really badass, I was thinking of another but this one is WAAAY better, and only $49.95

6. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

Looks promising for the price and the features that it has. . . I may get one myself.

7. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

yeah our school labs run them 3 port switches. each hdd has an OS for the class. like win 2k3, win 2000, linux, 98 (for asm class) and what not. they are an awesome idea! i wish i could afford one (im super broke)

8. BlazinBlazer Guy

daaaamn!! :eek3: thanks!! thats exactly what I was looking for, too :cool:

yeah I was in the same spot, Dingo, the google search turned up nothing... but this solution looks good to me :bigthumb:

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The other option you have is to use a 5 1/4 bay to swap HD's in and out of the case. Comes with a mounting bracket that the IDE cable and power plug into, and the HD sits inside a case that is removeable. You can have as many HD's as you want then - and use those HD's in other cases that have external HD mounting kits. I've used them for multi-OS's and large data drives (video editing...)

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

I had thought about that, but I really didn't like the idea of having to physically swap the drives... knowing me I'd set one drive off to the side and forgot where I put it. :o The idea of having 2 or 3 drives mounted internally just seems cleaner to me, for my purposes. Besides, I have tons of extra room in my case, so why not use it?