Looking for a small compact Digital Video Camcorder!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rudeboy, Feb 16, 2002.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy Guest

i want something that will fit into my pocket and work great. i want this to replace my sony mavica. Anyone have any opinions they want to share, thanks

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

sony PC9 it uses minidvs its sorta big but can fit in a pocket

i know JVC has some super tiny ones

3. Guest

Guest Guest

4. rudeboy

rudeboy Guest

kinda pricey for me.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

The Sony Family Store where I work at Sony Pictures. :)
    Love to check this thing out when it appears.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be quite spendy and I'll check out the price/availabilty tomorrow and let you know.

7. tekknikal

tekknikal Nothing's ever been better than that

Its supposed to be available any day now -I've heard of sightings in stores. There's an IP5 that goes for $1300 msrp and the IP7 that goes for $1700msrp..
    this in particular comes from http://www.sonystyle.com

incidentally in Japan there's only the IP7 domestic model, and IIRC it goes for the lower price. The IP5 is basically an IP7 minus bluetooth,memory stick.

Sony Japan has a more advanced model coming to Japan soon, its smaller than the IP7, a good bit smaller too. I dont have the specs in front of me now though.

Victor (JVC in the USA) has their DVP3 camcorder that is about the same size as the IP7 (to +/- 3%, depending on the specs you're looking at) but uses the miniDV format. Although the IP7 uses microMV "MPEG2" this isnt compatible with DVD. Compared to the DVP3, the IP5/7 have larger touch sensative screens and analogue a/v in.

In Japan Victor has a DVP7 that has A/V in and can also double as a webcam(!) This unit has a megapixel CCD too.

The other Sony is slightly larger and thats the PC9, as mentioned before. With it's larger size comes more features.. namely better low light preformance + more battery life off the top of my head. This unit is also less expensive than the IP5/7, and is priced around the DVP3's ~$1000 street price.

As mentioned Canon too makes good mini camcorders. Their Elura series is pretty nice. Its sized between the PC9 and DVP3/IP7 and is pretty much in between them when it comes to features as well. One important feature (to many people anyways) that the Elura has is a progressive scan CCD. This makes the subsequent fields of a frame identical.. and does NOT do 'true' progressive scan 60frames/second video. It still has its benefits though, particularly when one isnt shooting fast changing scenes.

JVC has models that compete better with the PC9, but I'm not familiar with these.
    I suspect the Japanese models I mentioned will be released here in the USA this year, probably around summertime..which is why I mention them.

*edit - Ive used the PC9, DVP3 (I own a dvp3), and have not used the IP5/7 yet. I've also used the elura, but not for long enough for me to say much about them. Personally if you must have the smallest thing, I'd give the nod to the dvp3, otherwise i'd hand it to the pc9. Although it appears that the dvp3 has higher video resolution than the pc9, the pc9 has better low light preformance (based on specs, I cant confirm this), analogue a/v in, and a nice location-based exposure setting system..of course, the dvp7 will account for the dvp3's shortcomings, and then some.. but of course, Sony will probably be releasing a PC9 successor this summer too.

Hope that helps..

8. Guest

Guest Guest

i shoot on a pc5, but might be in the market for a new vidcam after reading this thread, puh!

9. tekknikal

tekknikal Nothing's ever been better than that

why?
    The pc5 is hot.
    I wish I had gotten one when they came out, that woulda been a really good move. Its still a very good camera today. Yeah the PC9 has more batt life, etc, but its also bigger and more heavy. You could just have another (very small) battery to have the same life. Plus you have analog in over the dvp3, and better low light and overall video quality over the ip5 (dunno about the ip55..)
    So you did good over this generation, which is more than you can really expect.. usually the next generation walks over the previous. eg, the dvp7 has analogue a/v in + webcam + megapixel ccd + same size ... same price, vs my camera. think about how i'd feel.. you've probably had your camera for some time.. and only now they're starting to really improve.

by the way, anyone else think a camcorder recording using DIVX to a microdrive/cf2 (for 1-2hr video) would be hot?