GUN Looking for a S&W 638....any suggestions?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ffxhub, Jul 27, 2009.

1. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

Looking to pick up a S&W Model 638 as a carry piece. Shot one a few weekends ago and like how small it is for those hot summer days when I'm wearing less clothes to conceal. Wife liked it too, so this is one gun I can pick up without hearing her complain

New ones are online for around $450ish....didn't know if anyone else had an idea for a better price.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

3. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

What the hell....I did the exact same search yesterday and best price I found was $350 but was only for LEO and they were out of stock.....guess my google skills blow.....

When I search for Smith and Wesson 638 or S&W 638 my first link takes me to S&W website and a few forums....ah well...thanks for the link, looks like I'll have to make an order.

4. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

Just called Impact.....website is wrong, actual gun price is $455.99......so the search continues.

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

How much is 38 special cartridges going for nowadays per $100? For both practice rounds and defense rounds?

6. Libera

Libera New Member

I bought 50 .38 special WC reloads for about $12. Can't help you with the defense rounds as I bought those in .357.

7. The Lox

The Lox New Member

Watch for specials on these at Cabela's, that is where I got mine from, been carrying it since the day I got my permit..

8. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Why a 638 instead of a 642?

9. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Is there any difference besides the hammer shroud? I kinda like the look of the 638 better. The 642 might weigh a little less though...

10. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

Just like the way the 638 feels in my hand

Held a few 642s at the show this past weekend and like the 638 better. Also like the option to pull the hammer back for a shorter trigger pull, and for some reason I feel the round back end of the 638 would do better at not getting stuck on things than the back of the 642.

I'd consider a 642 in stainless for the right price, but just haven't seen one.

11. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Just bought this one today for my wife. The 638 is a fine gun, I'm just not a fan of the hammer, especially considering the gun will be in her purse and I'd bet cleaning lint etc out of the hammer channel is a bitch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

What did you pay if you don't mind me asking.

For some reason the 642 just didn't feel right in my hand....but I like what you say about the lint out of the hammer channel.....

13. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

$425

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i love my 642, just picked it up a few weeks ago, only put about 200 rounds through it but was impressed with the accuracy from that little snub nose. don't get me wrong someone comes in my house i'm grabbing a shotty, but for conceal carry i'm loving the 642, the only problem i have is i find myself checking to make sure it's still there cause the damn thing is so light. after carrying a full frame for so long it's hard to get used to this tiny thing.

sure only 5 rounds blah blah blah, but damn if i'm a few feet away and miss with all 5 i deserve to lose.

love the J frame, 638, 642, no diff just the hammer being slightly exposed or not at all, either way it's a great conceal gun. i'm loving this thing (bought a second for the wife, the 1st was supposed to be hers but i took it lol)

15. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

16. You guys and your heavy Jframes. :mamoru:

[​IMG]

17. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Yes, she loves it.