GUN Looking for a rock solid 1911 for less than $600?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Nov 6, 2007.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

There's been some interests lately on this forum regarding the 1911 platform. I know from experience, it's hard to plunk down the type of cash that's necessary to get a good all around 1911 that isn't complete junk. Concerns from Series types, build, etc. So I'll repost what I posted on another current thread.

In regards to a 1911 within the price mark of $500. The very best offering that I feel from my research and experience at the price mark for a 1911 is made by STI, specifically the STI Spartan.

I'm purposely not going to link to this gun, so that others may do their own research on Reviews of this weapon from many reputable sources.
    (google is your friend)

If I was restricted to this price mark, I would not hesitate to purchase this firearm.

Cliffs on the STI Spartan:

-RIA frame and slide made by Armscor (I know they are not premiere, but many many reviews have shown that the build on these are in fact alarmingly good)
    -STI internals
    -STI rock solid reliability
    -Series 70 platform
    -comes with adjustable bomar style rear's with Fiber optic Front sights from the factory

the bad:
    -I hate the roll mark on ALL Sti's.
    -Only available via online purchase.

They also have a very good demo of this gun and functions on Youtube.com. Just search STI Spartan. There is a gentleman there that does a good demo on the gun.

I hope this info can get more of our WMD brotheren started on a solid 1911 platform to build upon.

2. H.P.

H.P. Guest

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sti makes a sub 600 1911? Interesting. I thought they were all spendy. I've never been able to use one, but I've heard great things about sti.

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

crap. now I need to get a 1911. Damn you :madfawk:

5. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

thanks i was about to post a thread about 1911's for this price, i may still cause im looking at springfield but i will look at these.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

They are relatively new release from STI.

Here's a good review of the Spartan, as well as a number of really good 1911's. This site reviews 1911's exclusively. Scroll down to the bottom or (ctrl+f) and look for "spartan".

http://ezine.m1911.org/contents.htm

For those not in the know about "STI". They deal exclusively in higher end 1911 and 2011 guns built for Race/Game guns aka IPSC, USPSA and IDPA. So they are all pretty much hot rodded custom 1911's. Most civilians and casual gun enthusiest will not know too much about them, but they are very highly regarded in the competitive shooting world. So, you know, they deal and are very successful in dealing in a "niche" market of very finicky shooters that push their guns to the limits in terms of performance.

A vast majority of serious competitors shooting STI and SVI 1911's greatly outnumber the Kimber and Springfield crowd. Talking in terms of "non sponsored" shooters of course.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  7. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

I want a 1911 :wtc: