Looking for a new laptop for school in sept.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by leejaycb, Mar 13, 2010.

1. leejaycb

leejaycb OT Supporter

Hey OT :wavey:
    im heading to school in september (University of Guelph for Mechanical engineering), but im in dire need of a laptop. would like to be able to play new games on it, as it will also be my main gaming platform
    ive checked out alienware's and im kind of leaning towards the M15x.
    suggestions?

2. BladedThesis

BladedThesis New Member

Thinkpad with discrete graphics.

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

unless you specifically need a laptop for school, I'd recommend getting a laptop for personal use and a desktop for work/school.. or vice versa. mixing work and personal environments can be really bad for productivity, and the two computers will likely have different hardware requirements.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

IMO alienware and xps computers are over priced.

4-5 years ago I got an Inspirion with upgraded video card and it was my primary gaming rig for a long time. With the money I saved from going with the XPS, I was able to get a 3 year, in home warranty and it also covered accidental spills and drops. It was awesome.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

As a bonus:
    You can buy a docking station for said laptop that allows you to 'plug it in' and have access to the monitor, keyboard, network and speakers of the main rig.

Think of it like this, typing and actually using a laptop is a big pain in the ass that is best left for situations that actually demand it.
    When you use a traditional desktop with traditional monitor/keyboard/mouse/speaker setup you are much more comfortable and they are much higher quality.

When you use a docking station you get those luxuries from your laptop while still using the laptops innards, i.e. the hard drive and OS with all your study material on it.

Whats more as far as gaming is concerned you will spend far less money for a tower setup that allows for gaming then a laptop - and add onto that the drastic cost savings you get from easily being able to switch out old parts for new parts when it comes to the eventual upgrades and breakdowns you will see during your college years.

My recommendation is you get both. Spend as little money as possible on that laptop, make sure you can find a docking station for it and splurge on the tower for gaming.

Have fun!

6. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

7. leejaycb

leejaycb OT Supporter

hahaha thanks for the feed back guys i think im just going to settle for a run of the mill Hp or thinkpad, ive had a few and i actually love typing on them
    im actually posting from my gaming desktop.
    i guess i can lug this thing with me to school.
    where abouts would i find one of these docking stations, they sound pretty nifty.

8. snoozeallday

snoozeallday OT Supporter

if its between HP or Lenovo.. well i'd say Lenovo.

9. thekraft

thekraft New Member

They're mostly lacking in decent gaming laptops, but they're a lot more solidly built. HP mostly just sucks.

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I second this. I've never used HP's business class of stuff, but have dealt with their consumer class support and they're just awful.