Looking for a new Hard Drive (SATA)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Well, i'm quickly running out of room and looking to get a new SATA HD. I have a few in mind, but can't make up my mind.

I dont know if i should shell out the extra for a larger drive... or just get a 250-320 for like, $100. One side note, with the purchase of this drive, my chassis will be maxed out on space and SATA/IDE drive slots... so i'm trying to make this expansion count.

Would be niice... dunno if its worth the extra money.
    Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000YS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $179.99

A good midrange.
    Western Digital Caviar RE WD3200YS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $99.99

Seems like a reliable fallback, based on reviews.
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $79.99

Post your suggestions.

2. Create

Create :free at last:

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

go seagate, they have a 5 year warranty vs the 3 that western digital offers, and IMO, they are a better drive.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I, too, would go with a Seagate.

5. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I would personally go for the WD RE2 drives. I believe they also have a 5 year warranty. Personally, I've had quite a few issues with Seagate drives recently (primarily bad sectors). All of the WD Raid Edition drives that I've used have been perfect.

6. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

No room for two drives... i can only get one.... however tempting that 500+250 deal is. Lol.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've got a better idea.

DELETE YOUR OLD SHIT.

1. Run Disk Cleanup. Delete everything it finds, but don't compress old files.

2. Set System Restore and the Recycle Bin to each use 5% of your hard drive space, instead of the (ridiculous) 12% default setting.

3. Use NTFS compression on the entire "C:\Documents and Settings" folder. Ignore all errors. (it won't hurt anything.) Ditto for any other long-term-storage folders on your hard drive.

4. Set your browser to dump its cache every time you close it. Set the cache size to 256MB and no larger.

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I need more storage space... not OS space. I have my OS and apps on my 120GB, and its sitting pretty... but i dont trust XP much to not shit every once in a while, and its much easier/safer (imho) to keep everything on a different physical disk when i have to deal with it. So, cleaning up the disk that has Documents and Settings would be useless, cuz there's nothing in there.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Whether or not your data is on the same drive as your OS has no bearing whatsoever on what I recommended. Do the same things I said to your separate data drive, then; in fact, you may even want to compress the whole thing. It will increase data transfer speed to/from the drive because the data will be compressed, but it will chew up a little bit of CPU power. I've never noticed an impact.

11. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

12. Create

Create :free at last:

I don't really see an advantage to using the new technology. Size, seek time, and throughput seem to be the same as other drives.

13. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Perpindicular recording definitly is promising, however it needs more time to devellop, its only extra harddisk space so far, but it could definitly result into faster read/write times with additional new technology.

14. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.