Looking for a New Cell Phone (Or am I?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bmorrell, Jul 8, 2005.

1. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

Alright. I have Cingular, live in SoCal (92130). With that in mind:

I have a Motorola V600. I've now had it for a year. Over time, the earpiece (the thing you put to your ear) faded and faded. A few months ago, it just died. I put up with only speakerphone for a while, then decided I would just not use it for a little bit. So I used, and am currently using, my old Nokia 8390. Whatever, I need a new phone.

First off, do I need a new phone? I was told I can either pay about $150 for a new V600 hands down (no), or send it in and possibly get a new v600 for free (if they decide it's not use-able). Or, I can pay $50 and just get a Motorola V551, no questions asked.

If I don't/can't do that, I'm in the market for a new phone again. I want something with a color screen, decent camera, and lots of features. I am currently looking at the Siemens S66 (I think Cingular calls it the S65), but I know that there are many other options out there that are just as good.

-I don't care if it's a flip or not.
    -I would like a decent sized color screen.
    -I would like a decent camera.
    -I don't need a PDA phone or Razr or the absolute top of the line, but I'd like something nice that would last awhile.

Any and all suggestions/help/info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

I just saw saw a Motorola V1150...quite the phone. Apparently it's not out yet...should I wait for that? Or anything else?

Just wanted to add that :).

3. Vaytan

Vaytan New Member

I dunno if you have it there but the Moto V635 is a great phone. Great Cam on it.

AS most phone it all depends on how you use it. A friend of mine goes through phones like ass wipe , nature of his job. So every year he gets a new one. Sometimes sooner.

He had the V551 and loved it. So he got the V635 and got me hook on it.

4. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

thats a 3g phone, won't be out in the US for a looooooooonnnngggggg time if ever. But if it does come, don't expect it until winter of this yr/next yr sometime.

the v600 was pulled b/c of the many issues it had. The V551 has corrected most of the problmes, but its still a moto :hs:

5. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

Thanks for the imput guys.

What do you mean by 3g? Third generation? (lol ipods)

Do you, oh wise smartphone expert, have any suggestions/ideas?

6. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

3g is the next generation of wireless - broadband speeds for data, clearer calls etc - its really focused on data speed tho.

Don't go for another v600 - they have lots of probs. I'd get the v551 if you want cheap (can't beat $50) or phones like the nokia 6230 are good, so is the SMT5600. Really depends on what you need/want and how much you want to pay.

7. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

Well, looks are a big factor with me. I also would like Bluetooth, if possible, big color screen, and decent camera.

Blah. What do you all think of the Siemens S66?

8. Mirrorlure7M

Mirrorlure7M OT Supporter

I have the Sony Ericsson S710a and I love it . I have a V505 for my spare phone then I also have a OGO .

9. ChronoJ1

ChronoJ1 From behind

[​IMG]
    WHAT THE CRAP IS THAT?????

10. sp33d

sp33d New Member

^ i was thinking the same thing

11. ISO9002

ISO9002 New Member

You will need to go to gsmarena.com, then look at the phone, and see what you like. Then try ebay, you might some good price.

12. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

i just picked up a blackberry 7100g. if you value large screens but don't want too large of a phone, i highly recommend checking one out. i never had a bit of interest in the old wide form factor blackberries, but the 7100g has really grown on me in the week i've had it. you can also change the font sizes so you can cram a lot of info on the screen (e-mails or web pages).

...though it doesn't have a camera and the bluetooth is currently only enabled for headsets (no file transfer or wireless sync, etc.).

13. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.