A&P Looking for a little clarification on HSM Lenses

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by sLpFhaWK, Nov 12, 2008.

1. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

I was looking at the Sigma 10-20mm Lense the other day at my local Camera Store (Hunts Photo in Melrose, MA) and I told him I wanted a wide angle lense but I have a d40, he said the lense would work w/ the d40 because of the HSM Motor it has, but i'm not 100% sure what that means. I was checking on ebay on similar lenses and I found a Tamron Lense that specifially said IT WILL NOT AF on a D40 because it has no motor, so I'm just looking for some clarification. I've had a couple other DSLR's in the past and I sold them because I found them to be a little complicated, but I came across this D40 at a steal so I picked it up and I really want to learn, even thinking about taking a class.. So if a seasoned photographer could chime in and help me out i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

for a super wide like a 10-20 you can focus manually just fine, the problem is the viewfinder in the d40 isnt really up to par with a good slr. compare to say a A900, the d40 is half as bright. its one of the reasons the D40 is cheaper.

anyway you wont have problem focusing a superwide, even if you only look at the barrel and guess. there is such a large amount that is in focus.

3. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

Okie, but does HSM mean anything else for any other types of lenses? I really have no need for a telephoto lense or anything similar. Just looking for a decent Wide angle lense.

Thanks for the reply!

4. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

HSM ONLY applies to Sigma, which means Hyper Sonic Motor.

The equivalent in other branded lenses are AF-S for Nikkon, IF for Tamron etc

It does depend on what you plan to shoot though. Generally UWA's are used for landscapes, which I believe autofocus to be of no use. (I've always manually focused taking landscapes)

5. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

There won't be much in focus if you've set it wide open

6. Bloke

Bloke Banned

you must have never used the 10-20

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

yeah, it the opposite with a wide lens.

8. ravenspy57

ravenspy57 New Member

Almost. Tamron does not have a "hypersonic motor". They do make some lenses with an internal focus motor, but it's not the quiet type.

To answer the OP's question, only lenses that have their own focusing motor will AF on the d40.

9. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

I own one :hsugh:

10. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So if UWA's are mostly used for Landscapes, what would be a good lense to say shoot a car show? Fisheye? From what i've seen those are thousands of dollars and I know a lense is more important than the body but thats still a bit to much for me. I want to be able to get right up to the car and still get a good shot even if there is a ton of people around.

11. Bloke

Bloke Banned

on a crop sensor a 24mm prime

12. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

Something like this would be good.

Also found that if you're carrying your 'big pro' camera around and using a tripod, most people will get out of your way :coolugh: