Looking for a home printer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I need to break down and buy a printer for at my house. I have bad experiences with an old lexmark i had back when i was in college, and the ink was shit and always dried up in between uses... stranding me when i needed it most. So, i want a printer where the ink wont dry up, even if i dont use it for extented periods of time in between. (within reason, of course).

Any suggestions? I think Laserjets are a little better at keeping their ink wet... but i may be way off base. I would like one that will also do color, but i suppose it is not mandatory.

Thanks in advance.

2. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

the HP PSC 1400 isn't bad. I haven't had any complaints from my parents about theirs.

Stay away from Epson's C8x Stylus series..ink gets dry quickly and will read as low.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

4. Sirkraker

Sirkraker New Member

hp 2750 or hp 8200

Have them both

hp2750 all in one scanner,fax, ext Wireless network ready or ethernet

8200 is a photoprinter I have it on a wireless print server. quick printer. its new tech has 5 ink cartriges(diffrent colors). you only repleace the one you need to repleace.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

if you want B&W only and have a bit of money to spend, go with laser, its much faster & sharper.

if you want a small cheap allrounder i've had great success with canon printers, even the small all-in-ones, they even print pretty well for photos.

6. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I haven't had to print anything in color for a while so I picked up one of those, samsung laser printers. Ended up being like $50 and man let me tell you.:bowdown:

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Thanks guys.

I had an offer from one of my dad's coworkers to take one of their old HP LaserJets (either a 4 or 5 series). That should be more than suitable for my uses.

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Bear in mind replacement cartidges will be somewhat expensive. If you print that much and that often, it may be worth it. Else a $50 HP or canon inkjet would be sufficent.

browse fatwallet or slickdeals. there are always printer days. And all you need is black ink, so you ink costs should be cut in half.

9. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

If you can get a LaserJet 4 or 5 go for it. They are workhorses and the toner cart will last you forever. I got 2 years out of a half used cartridge on my LJ4.

10. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Yea... i had one back when i lived at my house.. and it was very good. I know cartridges for them are expensive, but since they do last a good long time, it ends up being worth it to me.