A&P Looking for a good SLR...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by IceMurder, Aug 22, 2007.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

Right now i use a Sony DSC-w7 with 7.1 mp and i absolutely love it...but i really want another camera that has more options to expand on, I.E. ability to change lenses, add filters, and so on...so ive decided to start combing the market for a good, decent priced, intro digital SLR. Im looking to spend around $600, but im not sure exactly what to look for. I mainly shoot landscapes, sunsets, and stuff like that but occasionally i like to get pictures of friends and people as well. Can anyone make some suggestions for me?

I found these 2 on best buy's website, what do you guys think?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&tab=7&id=1172276684244&skuId=8288293
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8288293&type=product&id=1172276684244

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2007
  2. IAMHERENOWv0.0

IAMHERENOWv0.0 New Member

3. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

4. spizarxxx

spizarxxx DSLR, GSD, DJ CREW & OT's Resident On Air Personal

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

6. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

:cool: And for me, I wanted an authorized Nikon dealer, which they are :cool:

7. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i have no problem using ebay, i use it all the time, but what would you guys suggest i get for someone whos new to dslr's? lol

8. kristin

kristin my dog > *

9. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

go into a store, pick up a few of the camera's... hold them, see how they feel in your hands. It's really what's most comfortable to you.

I would recommend canon. You could grab a used Xt pretty cheap, then buy a decent piece of glass.... but you'll really be fine with either system as long as you stay with one of the big 2. (canon or Nikon)

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

11. aCab

aCab New Member

Ill sell you my XT for cheap. 40d here i come mang.

12. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

Same prices?

13. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

14. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

didn't you want an SLR?

I'd rate that pretty decently for a p&s, but it's not anywhere near an slr.

15. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

can u tell me the real differences please? idk what th hell im talkin about :o

16. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Sure...

Two major differences...

SLR's have removable/interchangable lenses. This allows you better optics, more specialized functionality, and the ability to adjust for your situation. You can buy one for wide angle stuff, one for really sharp/portrait stuff, one for macro stuff, one for telephoto stuff, etc... They will ALL be better than the 'catch all' that comes stuck on a point and shoot camera like the one you have now...

They also have completely different internals. The camera sensors are bigger, allowing for better quality images and higher iso choices with less noise, and you have a TON of increased functionality.

However, there are some things they don't have: video, sound, 'digital zoom', etc.

The short answer is this: Do you want to learn about photography, spend lots of money on new lenses, flashes, accessories, etc - basically turning it into a really fun, but really expensive hobby....

Or do you just want better pics than you're currently getting....

17. Pants

Pants New Member

18. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

:bowdown:

19. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i think i may stick with just getting better pictures than im currently getting...because after i buy an slr camera, and just one lens ill be way over my 500-600$ budget...am i right? im just a poor college kid who likes taking decent looking pictures all the time haha

i mean i like the ability to have special lenses, but with most sony cameras (idk about others) u can buy wide angle, macro, and filter kits (which i all of for my current sony dsc-w7) and ive been really happy with the shots those turn out...idk do u guys have any suggestions to replace the sony dsc-h9 that i posted the link for a few replies up?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2007
  20. Manythanks

Manythanks Stay humble, don't mumble.

Along the same lines - but I don't really want to make a new thread for it...

If I were in the market for an XT for D40, would I be better off buying a kit with the stock lens set (18-55mm) or would it be more practical to pick up just the body and shoot for a different lens right off the bat? :dunno:

The camera would just be for hobbyist reasons and I haven't read up of the qualities or even the differences in all of the most general lens (I need to do my homework :hs:). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

21. radfad88

radfad88 The Batman-O-Lantern

This is basically my question right now too.. from my research I think I've found only ~$100 difference between the 18-55 kits and just the body... so I think I'm gonna go with the kit, what do the DSLR vets have to say?

22. radfad88

radfad88 The Batman-O-Lantern

how much are you asking for it? PM me if you get a chance...

23. aCab

aCab New Member

Sent you a PM - let me know if you got it - I forgot I unchecked the box to save a message to my inbox. I may have sent it twice. :rofl:

24. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I say ditch the kit lens but others may say no. If I was in a similar situation, i'd buy the body only and look to pick up a used quality lens. There are plenty of 18-70 lenses available for nikons (im one of them) and they can be had for pretty cheap.