GUN Looking for a good range gun, that will eventually become my carry weapon.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ghostrider4450, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Suggestions? When I turn 21 im going to apply for a right to carry permit. I am wondering what gun would be good for range practice now, that would make a good carry firearm down the road. Are the slides interchangable in Glocks, especially with different calibers? If so I was thinking along the lines of getting a Glock 19, and then a Glock 32 in .357. Not sure what the opinions are about the .357 either.

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Glock 26 or XD Compact

3. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

G19 has mine and ShackleMeNot's vote

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

.357 Sig has great potential although I think it will continue to be largely ignored. It simply sits among other calibers that are its equal in any given situation and the other calibers are more widely available.

I'd go with the 19 if you want a Glock for both range and carry. You should be taking your carry weapon to the range anyway (practice practice practice)

I've been so busy lately that I haven't been shooting in like 2 months. :hsd:

I would pick a different gun though as Glocks don't agree with my hands.

5. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

ill give the arbitrary "see what fits your hand best out of a few models that are good for carry. XD, Glock, Rugers, Sigs, HK, etc. and see which is most comfortable"
    Also figure out if you want to carry SA or DAO, or SA/DA
    tat said. I really like the XD, and the Rugers lately have been doin somethin for me. Plus you can use it SA or DA. same with sig and HK.

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You aren't allowed to vote for me!

But yeah. Glock 19.

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I throw a vote in for the FNP-9 which is almost identical to the G19 in most aspects. Size, weight, capacity...are almost equal. The FNP-9 is hammer fired and has a decocker (or the Browning Pro-9 has a decocker and manual safety)

There are also several CZ compacts out there that are immensely popular. They offer some more unique features too. You can get them with either a steel or an alloy frame. The slide runs on internal rails which cuts down on recoil energy a bit (less mass moving back) and lowers the bore axis slightly although the Glock's bore axis is probably the lowest of most handguns out there.
    CZ's are also available in almost any firing mechanism. SA, DA/SA woth decocker or manual safety, DAO. They are rugged, reliable firearms that usually cost a bit less than some of the more popular brands. This is beginning to change though. Since the adoption of the Euro (CZ's are made in the Czech Republic) and their jump in popularity prices on many of their models are going up.

8. Ghostrider4450

Ok well right now its a tossup of either a G19, or HK _____? I have held a G19 before and I loved how it felt, so thats a no brainer there. I have a friend who owns a HK USP compact and I think were going to make a trip to the range pretty soon. :hsd: Then ill see which suits me best. Of course I do plan on shooting my carry gun at the range.

Oh and one other thing. Could someone please elaborate on DA, DAO, DA/SA? I kind of get the gist of it, but that wont do, I need the full info on it. I tried looking on google but that was about as much help as asking a dead person for directions.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

G19 Ftw

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think you really need to shoot a ton of them before you decide. I love my walther p99's and they conceal pretty well, but honestly I think I like my s&w 642 even better for carry. Its not near as cool looking as a big auto, and its really not a fun range gun, but I totally love having it in my pocket. My opinion of the .357sig is about like .40s&w, just get 9mm and have a little more capacity, ymmv.

11. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

DA = double action
    DAO = double action only
    DA/SA = double action and single action

12. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

a P2000 would be a good choice as well..

but a G19, at nearly half the price, is the best :run:

13. Ghostrider4450

Ok thanks, thats what I was looking for.

I was on gunbroker and I saw the P2000. Definately worth looking at as well.

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Man I can't believe no one on this board is a big sig fan... I'd reccomend the Sig 228 or 229 if you're looking at .40/.357. Sig's got at least as good as reliability and durability as glock or hk, and accuracy at the top of the semi-pistol market. Look at Sig as an alternative to the HK.

15. Ghostrider4450

Yea my Sig P228 is OK, but my 92FS actually gets better groupings on the 7yd range than the 228.

16. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

I second that. :bigthumb:

17. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

Another vote for the 19.

18. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

A magazine did a 10,000 round test with a Sig. I think it was the P229 and it got better groups AFTER the 10k rounds than when they started.

I'd like to try a Sig out some day. I like the decock lever on them.

19. Ghostrider4450

I thought for conversations sake id toss this one in there. Whats the current feelings on the FiveseveN?

20. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

the one in your AV? it's a nice gun, shot one at the range, expensive to buy and expensive for ammo, but I wouldn't buy it if it was my only gun

21. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:greddy2:

22. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

:rly:

I've got a 92 FS and will prolly get a 228 when I turn 21. One thing about that comparison is that the Beretta has a 5 inch barrel and the Sig, a 4 inch. Longer sight radius will give better accuracy. Though, I wouldn't want to try to conceal carry a 92FS on a regular basis.

23. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Fun range gun, a little large to be carrying concealed.
    With all the hate recently about it (i.e. It's teh armor-piercing, cop killar!!!11one) I'd be hesitant to carry it.

It's much easier to answer some shitball lawyers questions without such a stigma.

"I used this particular caliber because it is what the police in our area use and I figured they know better than most what works." "and because your client is a scumbag and didn't come issued with enough holes."

24. Ghostrider4450

Yeah I have come to that consensus at this point. I love the idea, but the ammo is just too damn expensive and the gun does have a bad name in the mainstream media right now.

25. Ghostrider4450

:fawk: