GUN Looking for a good punch and hammer set

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Nov 5, 2007.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I bought a 'Glock tool' through LWD a while back, but that thing is a piece of shit. Can't tap on it with a hammer because the body is brass and fucks it all up.

Got any suggestions on a good multi punch set with maybe a soft faced or brass hammer?

This also brings up another good question; What all tools do you guys recommend for working on guns. Mostly for disassembly/reassembly purposes. No restoration or anything like that.

List o tools?

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

For punches, ABSOLUTELY buy Craftsman. The first time you break a punch, you'll be so glad that you can take it back for a new one. You can probably find little brass hammers in the same place.

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

uhhh, dude. You should NOT be using a hammer with your Glock. EVER. Regarding the tools necessary to tear apart a Glock, I just use what ever pointy thingy I have close. I have a small golf tee I keep in my box. there's no need to get an official glock armorers tool.

Here are some things that could help you, in regards to Glock assembly and disassembly.

ALWAYS start from top pin, to the bottom rear strap pin.

ALWAYS install the pins, from Left to Right.

In regards to removing the slide lock pin, with your left hand, hold the slide lock pin with your index and thumb. With your right hand, apply pressure to the pin with your pin tool (Golf tee, rusty nail, etc). At the same time, with your left hand, begin wiggling the slide lock release from side to side. Very Very easy this way.

Again, when you re-installing, start from the top pin, and work yourself down.

4. Furner

Furner New Member

maybe you have some old craftman punches, but i bought some a year ago and returned them because the manufacturing was crap. i went through all the ones on the rack and every one had something wrong with it except the largest sizes. any size that was decent for gun work was fucked up, and alot of the sizes that would be useful are not made. like the one for the pin on the slide of my XD. they didnt have one that would fit.

5. AustinL911

Lol. I've got the assembly and disassembly down pat. My problem was getting the pins to move without slipping and stabbing myself. Hence, a little tap tap taparoo to get them moving. I see absolutely no problem with this. I'm not pounding on it with a 5lb. sledge or anything. :rofl:

6. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

meh, I think Craftsman's quality has really gone downhill lately in general. Home Depot also has a lifetime warranty on their tools.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah I agree alot of newer craftsman stuff is shitty, I stripped the teeth off a week old vice grip recently. Some of the HD stuff seems to be getting a bit better in quality too. Its getting to the point that some of my craftsman stuff that was my grandfathers is in better shape then my more recently purchased craftsman stuff.

8. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I have noticed this as well.
    Husky tools used to be kind of a joke, but they look pretty good. Also, buying stuff at Sears is annoying.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

Again, if you HAVE to use a hammer, you are doing it entirely wrong. And there is a reason for the sequence, but it seems you have that covered, so I won't expand on the benefits of doing so.

This is exactly the reason why I don't buy guns used. Good luck with what you are looking for.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  10. AustinL911

My appologies, Mango. I was doing it wrong. Forgot the 'wiggle the slide stop' part. :noes:

But for future reference, I still would like a good punch and hammer set for other weapons, not just Glocks. :wiggle:

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Whatever set you get DO NOT buys ones with paint on the shafts. Jesus I bought a set of steel punches with blue painted shafts. First time the paint mixed with gun cleaning solvents it was a mess, blue gunk on my hands and the punches became slippery. I still have to get the rest of the paint of the punches. Other than that they have served me well, but when you purchase them try and find a set with a nice cloth pack or a good hard plastic case, the cheapo paper and plastic gets dirty and worn quickly. (point is null and void if you have a spot for them in a tool box)

12. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

My fiance got me a nice little kit from Grace USA that included 8 gunsmith screw drivers, 8 brass punches and a brass hammer.....I just haven't had a reason to use any of it yet.

graceusaguntools.com

[​IMG]

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

14. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

The reason I recommended Craftsman for punches is that, especially on smaller punches, you might break one, regardless of the quality. They're just too thin, and sometimes you hit it at the wrong angle, or get it stuck, or whatever. If you break it, you take it back. I fully expect to break a small punch every now and then, regardless of the quality.