looking for a good internal hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by prowler09, Dec 5, 2006.

1. prowler09

prowler09 New Member

im looking for another internal hard drive mainly for images, photos, and photoshop work in the 100-150gb range. what do you guys recomend? good brand?

2. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

Seagate > *

3. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

ATA100 or SATA?

ATA100, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148141

SATA,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148142

They are slightly larger than the size you mentioned... but the 120GB drive in the same brand is around $55, and these are $75. a little over double the size for $20.

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148139 is the drive I just order. The above mentioned drives have 7200 rpm, 8mb cache. This drive has a 16mb cache for a few bucks more.

4. prowler09

prowler09 New Member

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

ATA100 and ATA133 are basically a speed rating. ATA100 being 100MB/s and ATA133 being 133MB/s.
    The difference would be hard to notice without some benchmarking tool.

It's kind of like the difference between an AGP4x slot and 8x slot

The important parts of the HDD's specs to worry about are the RPM and cache size. The HDD's storage size is only important to you.

Your friend lied. SATA is much better than IDE.
    SATA transfer rate starts at 150MB/s (SATA150) where as IDE is maxed at 133.
    SATA is hot swappable (as long as the SATA chipset used is from Silicon Image) so you can disconnect a drive without shutting down.
    This article can answer your SATA questions better than I can http://techreport.com/reviews/2003q1/ata-comparo/index.x?pg=1
    Hell in their game test (not a benchmark like 3DMark) they even gained 1FPS using a SATA compared to IDE. Ok it's not much but that's still something for the only difference being the HDD's connection type.
    Here's another to read about this http://www.addonics.com/emerging_technologies/sata_tutorial.asp

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  6. DaIceMan

mostly because it's at office depot. Their prices aren't discounted like neweggs.

EIDE and ATA100 are the same thing... also called PATA some places. This is the older technology. SATA is the newest. I bought the drive for my old computer that only has EIDE/ATA100 connections, but I will buy the same drive in SATA when I build my new computer.

Easiest way to tell what you have is to pop off the side panel of your computer and look at the data cable going to the hard drive. EIDE/ATA100 is about 2.25" wide, usually using a flat gray cable. SATA is about 3/4" wide and has a cable that looks roughly like a phone line.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Pick up a cheap SATA controller and a matching SATA hard drive from Newegg. That's your most futureproof combo right now.

8. Create

Create :free at last:

9. prowler09

prowler09 New Member

alright, so i think im starting to get this hard drive stuff, but what is the controller for? should it not be able to hook right up to my comp?

i think i am looking at this one now...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136062
    65 bux, 16mb cache, 160gb (should be plenty), SATA

i have a compaq presario btw

10. Create

Create :free at last:

Some older motherboards may not have capability to run SATA hard drives. They would be using the older, IDE technology. If this is the case then you'd need a controller card for a SATA drive. This controller card would plug into a PCI slot.

Compaq is notorius for odd case designs. Upgrades may not physically fit.

Additionally, someone described what IDE vs. SATA cables looked like in a post above. IDE is either 2.25" and flat OR 0.25" dia and round. Sata is always flat and around double the width of a phone cord.

11. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

If you dont have an onboard SATA controller just stick with PATA. A PCI SATA controller isnt going to be faster than onboard PATA.

12. prowler09

prowler09 New Member

right now i got a 80 gb 7200rpm Ultra DMA hard drive. will any of the drives posted above fit? how will i know what will ?

13. DaIceMan

post #3, the drive I ordered should work just fine for you.

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes it is, I have benchmarks to prove it.

[​IMG]

The HDD score jumped by 63% (!!!) when I switched to an SATA card from onboard IDE -- and yes, I was using ATA100 before. (I would have been using ATA133, but no IDE drive could keep up with it anyway.)

15. prowler09

prowler09 New Member

great, thanx for all the help guys