GUN Looking for a good hunting bullet for a .264 WM (6.5mm) v.Whitetail/Antelope

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BaronVonBullshit, Jan 19, 2009.

1. BaronVonBullshit

BaronVonBullshit New Member

:dunno:

I've heard the .264Win Mag likes bullets around the 120gr range (heavier dont stabilize as well with a 1-9 barrel twist and lighter bullets add to barrel burn), and I feel that that is more than adequate weight to take down a whitetail. What I'm NOT clear on is what happens to the bullet when it hits. Some have said ballistic tips will "nuke", but I've had GREAT success with them in both .308 and 30-06.

I'm looking to push the 120s to around 3300-3400fps with a 26" barrel.

discuss.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

Barnes makes their TSX in .264 120gr & 130gr, or the tipped variant in 120gr. That would be my choice.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

This.

Bullet weight by itself means about dick. It's a barometer that has held over from days long since past, much with sectional density. Bullet construction, which plays into expansion and penetration, is what you are after. Unfortunately, this isn't something that you can put a handy "number" on to tote in all the latest magazine ads.

In short, R&D your own stuff and see what you think. You've got the perfect platform in which to be easily able to see and make decisions based on real world results. I'll stand by the X's, but there are certainly no shortage of bullets out there. 6.5mm is one of the most popular bore diameters out there, so buy some stuff and find out. Other things you might wanna try: AMAX, Nosler E-tip, Partitions, powerpoints, etc. Don't worry about "weight", as it tells nothing - Including appropriate twist rate (which is a function of length).

4. johnson

johnson New Member

5. BaronVonBullshit

BaronVonBullshit New Member

well the reason i was goint to go with the 120s is almost completely based on ballistics. which IS important, as i usually make a graph based on ballistic data and take it with me on hunts. paired with a laser range, i can shoot pretty confidently out to 500yds... which is REALLY important hunting in the dakotas.

i've studied some reloading charts and it looks like the 120gr is about the most efficient bullet the .264 can throw. very high speed and it seems to keep its energy better than the other weights (the 140s obviously do the latter better but dont quite get their speed up enough to merit the heavier weight). speed and the high BC of the bullet is the entire reason i bought the rifle... well that and it's pretty cool cause nobody else has one ;)

as far as what youre saying about expansion/penetration, i'll definitely buy a few different bullets to try out, but i do want to start with something that's "pretty good." i wont get to see the results as far as 'real world results' goes but once a year so it's pretty important to get off on the right foot and go from there. :o

thanks for the info.