Looking for a few good C/P mods.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Not to make this a long story, but I'd like to see some fresh mod faces in C/P. If you would like to take on the great responsibility of keeping C/P moving along, now's your chance to speak up!

You're going to need to be knowledgeable in some field of computing. Ideal candidates should be able to produce complete sentences (although since its C/P, correct spelling is a bonus, but not a requirement). Upholding and following the C/P standards is a must (but as a mod, you'll now have a say).

If you're interested, post here and a brief message why you feel you're up for the task. There may be multiple openings so all who are interested should post. We (the C/P mods) will attempt to review everyone based on experience level, attitude, and general post qualities.

2. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

3. choler

choler New Member

I am Indian, We are good with computers....

My Reference: Nocera

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'm around all the time and have a pretty good level of computer knowledge (especially on the programming side). I'd be interested if you want me :)

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'd like to put in an 'application'. :wavey:

I've been working with computers since the 286 days. My first machine built was a 386DX40, and working on and with computers has always been my #1 hobby, as well as career.

I have a rather lengthy resume of vastly different computer skills and experiences, with most of my specialization being in networking (layers 1 through 3), hardware, and most OS situations and problems. Part of my experience was working as a mod and staff writer for (the now extinct) Tech-Lounge.com (along with a few other members in here), and I've had a few guest articles for the company website reference section and company magazine (Rexel Power Source) including a question and answer section for networking questions by installers and contractors. I can provide trascripts and copies of the above said articles if necessary. Here is one example..

I also feel that I have an outstanding reputation here at OT (and a few of the other forums I visit i.e. C3G IT, [H]ard Forum, and I used to post all the time on Sharky's). I've posted many articles on all of those forums, and have been willing and able to lend a helping hand on anything and everything I can get my hands on. I've been reliable and dependable for MANY OT members here in both the forum and through PMs and email for assistance in a vast array of situations (mostly layer-1 related) and many members here would be willing to vouch for my maturity and sincerity..

I believe my reputation here is an accurate depiction of my real life personality in which I'm as real as it gets. I have no 'online persona'. What you see from me online is how I am in real life.

I spend a lot of time on OT C&P, and would be willing to dedicate as much as necessary to get the job done. I am not an opinionated person, so when certain problems arise, I will be fair and unbiased. I feel I would make a difference wherever neccesary, and I feel I would be (and already am) an asset to OT C&P and hope that I am seriously considered for the 'position'. :wavey::x:

6. inferno8ball

inferno8ball 190 proof Everclear + MD Amped energy d

Ive been using computers since my old 286 my father got the family for christmas when i was in first grade. I also currently work in the IT industry. While i might not have a specialization in one specific area of computers, i have a very broad knowledge of them, from hardware to OSs to programming.

i also enjoy the community here and would like to give back to it.

7. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I would like to put my name into the hat...

But looking at who has already responded to this thread, I think both Data and Pen. would be great addtions and I would recommend them definitley above myself as mods.

I too helped out with tech-lounge when it was around same with Data... I've been on here a lot, I don't post as often as I should, but I think that I can do a good job.

8. MP

MP New Member

penguinman shoulda been one a while ago.

if you need me to help just let me know. I'm in here all the time and have been a mod/admin on other forums for 4+ years.

9. DatacomGuy

:cool: Joe's a good guy. I also would give a recommendation for him. He did an great job on T-L. :wiggle:

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yep, having worked with both Steve and Joe on T-L, I can say they would both be very good mods :)

11. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I would also like to throw in my application for a mod position.

I have always had a deep fascination with computers, so much infact that it had become my chosen area of study during college. I have been fascinated with the field of networking and with the increase in use of home networking this could be an advantage.

As I have shown in my posts, I am quite willing to lend a helping hand. And I promise the someday I will finish the C&P FAQ. :big grin:

But as we all know a mod's position deals with enforcing the rules which I will also be able to do. We want to keep C&P a clean, safe place that promotes learning, fun and interaction. That is what I hope to do!

12. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Most of the people I would suggest off the top of my head have already posted, but I'll go and volunteer anyway. Friends pointed me to OT a few years ago, and until registration was required I just lurked in the main forum. My many moons of experience have taught me that I should continue to lurk in the main forum, but to post in C&P as often as possible. One of the first threads I participated in led to an argument with Compiled Monkey (except he had his old name... and it eludes me) about cheating in counter-strike :nono: :rofl:

I've since managed to avoid most petty debates, and enjoy the helpful learning environment this forum is today. As to my background, I've spent 3 years working in various infrastructure groups at a ~15,000 employee company, but my schooling is mostly in programming. I was just a kid when my dad brought home a beast of a locally-built 286 (Dell wasn't around back then, thank god) where I learned to configure a DOS menu that would let my brother and I play the games we wanted to with the push of a number. A few years later we had internet access, back when the internet consisted of email, gopher, and usenet. Sooner or later Mosiac came along, and here we are today. Now that I'm back at school - not working full time - I have more than enough time to spend here. Whether it involves DMA, Perl, or Linux, I'm more than willing to help people out with anything I can. Sometimes I even have the right answer :x: Seriously though, thanks for giving us the a chance at being able to help out further.

13. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

:rofl: Really? I don't remember. :dunno: Btw, it was AMDPwred. ;)

14. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I prolly don't have what it takes, but I just want to through my vote in for Penguin Man and DatacomGuy, they post a lot and are very knowledgeable (and nice, tahts a main one).

15. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i'd like to apply for this application.

ive been in this forum for about a year and a half and well, ive worked IT for awhile (2years) and do help out (what i feel) quite well...

i may not be one of the best canidates, but you know, neither was bush and look at him! :eek3:

i was thinking why doesnt C/P vote in new mods ever 6 months to keep fresh faces around?

16. MP

MP New Member

c/p = last good forum on OT

and the gaming one :hs:

17. CyberBullets

that SGW thread killed the gaming forum.... :hs:

18. MP

MP New Member

i haven't read it

19. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

:werd:

20. DatacomGuy

I disagree with this. Good way for a forum to find its way south.

21. CyberBullets

why? just currious on ur reasoning.

22. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

9600 was flying compared to our 2400. But we still had Prodigy. I still remember our member ID VPXM76A. :hs:

23. eof

eof New Member

I don't want to be a mod so please noone nominate me...

k thnx bye

24. DatacomGuy

Because a forum, just like anything, needs stability. If you've got the forum changing mods every other month or week or whatever, you're not going to have the same stability and support as a forum with long-lasting mods.

One of the boards that I visit daily has never changed their admin team. Has stayed the same for the last 3 years, and during that time the board has run extremely smooth. Every admin knows the rules, and knows them well. Whenever there is a problem, it is solved quickly. If you have a board with a rotating admin team, then you get n00b mods who know nothing about administration (both administration of the members, and actual administration abilities with the software).. so then they'll have to be taught and trained, not counting the countless numbers of members who seem to always have 'the right idea to solve all the worlds problems' who just seem to make it worse.

Picking mods/admins for a board is not as easy as "Iny-meany-miny-mo" (is that spelled right? :rofl: ).. you have to be careful and selective or things could get bad.

There's no need for "fresh faces" when it comes to admin teams. The same old mod lurking in the corner is going to do a better job then Joe Blow who is power hungry. You're not supposed to recognize a mod and their 'admin power' until a problem arises.. therefore there is no reason why they would "get old". They'll still be a member if they were to be 'de-modded', so in all actuallity, they'll still be in front of you, actually defeating the purpose of 'the changing of the guards'.

See my point?

Oh. And page 2 is mine. :fawk:

25. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Seems like there are plenty of well qualified people, but I'd like to throw my hat in the ring, just to see what happens.

I've been using computers since the TRS-80 and C64 (still have a C128 with the 20 lb Floppy Drive :big grin:), and doing diagnostics & repair since the 8088. I'm not posting my resume or anything, but I'm strong with OS troubleshooting from IBM Dos 3.3 up to WinXP, and have plenty of Unix exp (Linux, Solaris, BSD, and even a touch of AIX & VMS).