A&P Looking for a DSLR for my g/f, advice please

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by montess, Jul 19, 2006.

1. montess

montess How bout 5 across dem lips

First off I know nothing about pro photography. nor does the little lady. But she has been wanting to get into it, and prolly take a couple classes even.

She uses the hell out of my sony cybershot.

So I figured I'd hook her up with something nice, to get her started. I'm looking for a good quality camera possibly with diff. lens so she can mess around. I do realize that taking good pics is not in the equipement but would like to start her out with quality stuff.

I like the looks of the 350D. I don't wanna start another Nikon vs Canon war but if you can convince me other wise feel free.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure what I'm gonna spend yet. 600-800, maybe more

should I be leary of these ebay deals? with all the lenses and accessories. such as this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Digital-Rebel-XT-350D-3400-Kit-18-55-2-More_W0QQitemZ250007391117QQihZ015QQcategoryZ107909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks in advance

2. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

if shes planning to take a photography class, she should go with the nikon d70...the 2nd command dial would make learning manual exposure less frustrating/easier

3. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

not going to oput my opnion on the whole nikon canon war, but she would defintly appreciate something like the canon d50 or nikon 350d simply because of their smaller size. I actually recommened a 20d to a female friend of mine and she didnt like it because she had very small hands and found the big real dial hard to use.

she did like my d70 though :bigthumb:

4. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

brand new 20d's can be had for fairly cheap these days. i bleieve calumet photo was selling their remaining stock for 1000. and i've seen them for cheaper from reputable places, but i cant rmemeber. try bhphotovideo.com and type psmay into the search box....the most rebated items will come up. see if the 20d is there.

5. montess

for the 20d, looks like $999 for the body only. would this be that much of a better choice?

6. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

depends on how seroius shes gonna be into it. the XT is fully plastic and the ergonomics is pretty bad. after holding it all day, my hand feels cramped and hurts. the only good thing about it is that its small and light.

20d is magnesium body and its more rugged. its bigger too and more comfortable to hold. sensor is different as well, but not a HUGE difference.

7. montess

I'm not sure how serious she will be right away, all day long shooting is prolly not what she will be doing. At least not at first. She just shows alot of interest in photography.

I would like to get her a lens with it as well, if not more than one. So I think the price diff. is a big deal.

8. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

a camera body is the least of your worries. lenses are expensive. best thing you can do is get a camera and get her a thrifty fifty.

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:werd: Most entry level DSLRs will take great pictures. It's the lenses that get expensive

10. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

You got them backwards :sadwavey:

11. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

if i were you i wouldnt waste my time on those special ebay deals with the tripod and everything included.

it includes all of those things, but they are all low low quality and wont last long. instead i would go to a camera store and learn about your different camers and invest in fewer, more high quality items for the camera.

12. nireen

nireen New Member

buy a rebel xt body and buy a tamron 28-75mm lense. done.

13. montess

thanks for the input guys,

I took her to bestbuy last night just to get a feel for the cameras and see whats comfy in her hands.

Unfortunetly for me she fell in love with the 20D. I liked the rebel for the price. But she has chubby fingers and likes the buttons and controls of the 20d. Plus its the expensive one so duh, of course thats the one she wants.
    So what would be my best bet for the 20D? Should i get the camera and lens kit? Or just upgrade the lens right away.

Keep in mind I still know nothing about this stuff as far as what lenses are good and not.

Also where would be a good place to purchase?

Thanks

14. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

if you're willing to buy used: www.fredmiranda.com - $750-850 for the body (some will throw in the kit lens for free). you can throw in a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens for $70-75 and let her buy the rest =)

15. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

DOH

16. montess

Ok, I'm working on getting her the 20D, prolly with the kit lens. I'm sure that would be fine for now.

What lens would be good to upgrade to? How do I know a quality lens vs. a shit one. Price obviously? But what else should I look for?

17. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

if you can get the 17-85 as the kit lens instead of the 17-55 you are golden