Looking for a defrag program bring files closer together

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Seeker, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Seeker

Seeker Guest

Looking for a defrag program to bring files closer together

I'm looking for a defrag program or some other program that will move system files together and put them in the beginning of the drive. My drive currently looks like this:

[​IMG]

but I want it to be more like this:

[​IMG]

At least something that will bring the files more together. I'm taking a linux class this semester and will need to install Red Hat onto this drive. On my last laptop the installation took forever because it moved all the files on my HD to the end and installed iteself at the beginning of the drive. I'm hoping this time I can get the end freed up and it will install there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2005
  2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

by redhat i hope you mean fedora. redhat is no longer supported except for the enterprise version

i'm not sure, but i thought partition magic could do what you want

3. Seeker

Seeker Guest

Sorry, yes, it is fedora.

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Partion Magic cannot do that, it can only change the beggining and end of the partition and "push" (for lack of a better term) the partition back or forth on the drive without changing the contents of the partition.

You just need to get a better defrag prog and run that. I'd probably tell you to get O&O defrag, but i don't know if there's been a better one come along lately.

5. Seeker

Seeker Guest

Unfortunately that's already the result of O&O. That's why I figured I'd see if anyone here knew of something better.

6. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

is there no option to force all files to the beginning of the drive?

7. Seeker

Seeker Guest

I tried 'COMPLETE/Name' defragmentation which is supposed to reorganize the whole drive and put the files in order of their name. That was the result. I guess I could try it again or try COMPLETE/Access or COMPLETE/Modified.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2005