GUN Looking for a decent rifle...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FreakinSyco, Nov 27, 2006.

1. FreakinSyco

FreakinSyco OT Supporter

Not really a hunter at this point but I live in Oklahoma where deer hunting is very very common. I might consider picking it up later but primarily want a rifle thats fun to shoot.

I really like the looks of the Remington 700 series but I would have to start with a very plain model to stay in my price range (~500ish max). What are other rifles in that range?

What about caliber? Im thinking about going with a .223 because of ease of shooting and ammuntion costs but Im thinking a .308 is going to be a more versitile gun.

Thoughts?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

.223 is fine for just killing paper or small game, anything else I'd go bigger, $500 and under I'd also recomend checking out Savages. I don't know if you want to consider semi auto's or not I find them more fun to shoot, if so consider AK's or spending a bit more for an AR.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

dont know how useful they are for hunting, but if cost is a concern, take a look a Mosin (91/30s or M38s) or a Mauser...

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

You should be able to find a Remington 700 SPS for under $500, but it'll be pretty close to it. (That's not including cost of the scope, mounts, rings, etc.) For just starting off I'd take a look at the combo rifles that Savage offers. You don't want to drop too much money into something you're not sure about doing, unless you're positive you'll like hunting. Sounds like you're looking for a compromise between a plinker and something for hunting, but I'm not too sure of something that'll fall into that category and still allow for cheap ammo.:dunno:

5. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I've found the Winchester Model 94 to be sort of fun to shoot and they seem to be inexpensive, but lever-actions aren't for everyone and 30-30 Winchester doesn't seem to be the cheapest ammo on the market.

6. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Try to find a slightly used 700. Could move you to a more appealing model and still allow for a semi decent scope, since your budget only allows for half the cost.

7. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Ruger 77mkII

although the savage and remington would be better options

8. FreakinSyco

FreakinSyco OT Supporter

this was my hope to find a nice used 700.. im going to check out the savage rifles

9. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

check your local laws, you can't hunt with .223 in GA, caliber is too small or something like that

10. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

you can usually get a 700 SPS for close to $400, and I'd go .308 over .223.

11. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

I'd say to get a .22 of some sort for a first rifle. Most people recommend the ruger 10/22 or a marlin; I went with a savage mark ii n I love it. .22 ammo is extremly cheap, often coming to around 2 cents a round. For hunting I wanted a 308, but ended up with a 12 gauge slug shooting shotgun (county prohibits whitetail hunting with a rifle :() I'm going to get a m1 garand once I save enough.

I can shoot my 22 all day with no problem, hearing loss or discomfort. However, higher powered guns (like my 12 gauge or a 30-06) start to take a toll on your body quickly (hearing, shoulders, etc). I'm also by no means a small guy (6'1 210, not a fattie either ;)); so just remmeber that higher powered guns are not fun to shoot too often.

So before any1 says to stop playing withthat toy (a 22lr), reconsider. Learn to shoot on the 22 and then get a nice larger rifle.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  12. FreakinSyco

FreakinSyco OT Supporter

I have a remington 597 .22lr and several remington 870s. I do enjoy shooting the .22 but it just doesent ahve the accuracy I want to have fun with. A guy can only shoot cans at 50 yards so long. I do love to shoot clays and am getting better as time goes on.

Im really leaning towards the .308 because I can use it for more things... I spent last weekend shooting my buddys colt AR15 and really enjoyed it. Is the .308 going to be uncomfortable to shoot for longer periods of time than a .223?

13. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

Heck yeah, I bought a glock 30 (.45) and got a 22lr kit for it, its one of the best investments ever.. I can blow 300 rounds of 22 then 10 rounds of .45 and be satisfied for less than 5 bucks..

14. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I just bought a Remmy 700 ADL in 30-06 for $389 after tax at WalMart. However if I wanted to get a caliber other than what they had on hand it would have cost $418.

15. FreakinSyco

FreakinSyco OT Supporter

I think they discontinued the ADL line. From what ive read the SPS replaced it. Im not sure if it costs any different. Ill have to hit up my local walmart to see what they have in stock.

Thats the nice thing about being in oklahoma.. the local wal-mart has about every gun type and ammo you could want.

16. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

They still had ADL's in stock where I live

17. FreakinSyco

FreakinSyco OT Supporter

Ill hit the walmart today.. if I can get one for $400 that will be my xmas present to myself :coold:

18. SW20 Nick

Oh I didn't realize you had a 22 already. Ummm the 308 should have more kick than a 223. I mean you can always buy a better, comfier buttplate and some better hearing protection if you want to shoot for extended periods of time.

The 308 is supposidly good for 800 yards, and if u r tired of plinking @ 50 yards, this may be more what your are looking for. I think the 223 may make u bored a little quicker. Another plus about 308s is that you can buy mil surplus ammo, so u might be able to save some more pennies that way (not saying you cannot buy 223 mil surp also).

All in all, I'd say 308 is the best; its more accurate than a 30-06, farther range than a 223 and can be used to hunt game when ur tired of shooting still life nonsense.

19. FreakinSyco

FreakinSyco OT Supporter

I keep reading that the .308 had better range but do you have a link to proof?

Heres a couple of trajectory tables that I found that have the .308 and .223 and according to this the two calibers are almost identical in trajectory.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/resource/remington_charts/223rembal.htm
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/resource/remington_charts/308wibal.htm

Im not saying your wrong (I have no experience with either) I'm just wondering why everyone keeps saying this.

And from my looking around .223 can be had for about .25c per round while .308 is roughly .50c per round.. both in bulk. So while the .223 is cheaper its really not significant. Either is an acceptable price.

20. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

in the possible deer hunting range of guns I have a remington 30-06 (model 760 BDL) and a marlin 30-30 model 3365C

though the remington is by far a better built gun, the marlin is a sturdy trusty little bugger, but with lots of hard edges.

21. Phantomlord

Phantomlord New Member

:rofl: that just cracks me up

22. t1h

t1h Guest

springfield 03?

23. SW20 Nick

read this thread a little: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-13766.html

24. FreakinSyco

FreakinSyco OT Supporter

Thats a good read. I consider myself much like the originial poster. Ill probably go with the .308.

Im really excited. I consider myself to be lucky because I have a private "shooting range" within 10 minutes of my home. My aunt and uncle own a serious amount of land that is easily accessable. Great place to duck hunt (i know from experience) and deer hunt (thats what they say anyway) with equal amounts of deep wood and big fields.

25. SW20 Nick

nice. Savage offers good 308s....too bad u didnt order one 3 months ago, every1 was having huge sales on them; but since hunting season is in full effect, those sales are over.

I wanted a nice long range round, i considered 30-06, 308 and even a 300 winnie short mag. I really had my heart set on a 300 winnie short mag till i had the chance to shoot one and see how much factory ammo costs. Recoil is unbearable after a number of shots; and i really want to compete in long range shooting one day.

Ill get my 30-06 garand (i wish it came in 308) n have fun until i get serious about competition; then ill move onto the big(ger) boys.