Looking for a decent gaming TV

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by habitat, Oct 29, 2009.

1. habitat

habitat Splatinum Member

What would you guys suggest? I am in the market for a new 1080p LCD, most likely 40-46". I really love Samsung but am looking for one that's is nice with gaming in mind. I have $1000-$1500 to spend, what would you get? Every review I read on a TV they bash it for gaming (lag). I'm going nuts over here

2. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

go plasma or go home

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I was going to make this post in a few days :rofl: My birthday is on Sunday and I want to buy myself a 40" gaming TV. Samsung 6 series has been looking good.. the 5 series has 6ms response time, not sure how games would look on it. What's wrong with Samsung for gaming?

Also, the room I'll be putting my TV in, I have control over the lighting so I may be considering a plasma. Very interested in responses though :hs:

4. whippet_1

whippet_1 Active Member

I dont always agree with your posts - but this is 100% correct

5. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Why? What's wrong with LCD?

6. Lat

Lat New Member

My 2 year old Samsung 46" LCD has been holding up like a champ :bowdown: LNT4665 :cool:

7. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

if your going to go over 42" and you want to spend that kind of money, get a plasma. LCDs get really expensive the bigger they get

8. habitat

habitat Splatinum Member

I'm probably going to stick with 40", theres a ton of Samsungs around my price range that size I just don't want to spend $1400 on a TV and have it suck for gaming

9. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

a 40" Samsung Series 6 is $1200 in Canada, so it's probably $100-200 cheaper in the US. Again, with a 4ms response time, just turn on Game Mode and have your jaw drop.

10. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

LED > *

but that's a lil over 1k

11. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  12. White Stormy

UN40B7000 (LED) for ~$1450

Personally, I'm not interested in LED tvs until I can get a local-dimming LED tv.

13. White Stormy

my dad has a 46" Samsung 1080p flat-panel LCD from several years ago that has been fantastic for games.

14. habitat

habitat Splatinum Member

Funny you posted this, I was actually browsing floor models today in store and they had the LN46B750 and it was impressive. They didn't have the 40" though but you just posted it. The 46" was $1499 though same price as the 40" on amazon hmm

15. White Stormy

they always send me coupons, but this time they just made it an automatic discount for my account.

you can try adding one to your cart and going to the checkout page to see if they're giving a discount to everyone. discount varies by tv. it showed as a $200 promotion discount on the LN40B750, price of $1259

16. White Stormy

in which store?

17. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

last time i checked there was some pretty awesome deals on panasonic 50" 1080p plasmas for under 1 g

18. habitat

habitat Splatinum Member

Yea I have a 50" DLP now i've had for a couple years, its a little big for the room it's in so I was looking to go down to a 40

19. Jonathan77

Jonathan77 Dreamer, Nostalgic with the state of mind

Good choice about the size. Initially I had a 46" and that shit was too big for my room. Down sized to a 40" Samsung LN40A750 and couldn't be happier.

20. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

I have a Samsung 40" and 52" both LCD's. I would recommend Samsung but im biased. I think ive had over 20 people buy a Samsung because of me. They should give me some commission.

21. Kasumi Chan

Kasumi Chan Happy, joyous and free. But fuck off.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/.../LN40B650T1FXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

This is the TV I have, and I use it for gaming, specifically for fighting games were no lag is really important. Responses time is 4ms which is really good for gaming TV, plus with the 120hz on, it's perfect. It's actually become problematic though. Because my TV has like no lag, I get used to play fighting games on this TV, then I go play on someone else's, it fucking sucks. So if you're going to tournaments or something like that, you might want to get something that has lag, a more standard default TV. If you're just looking for something to play on with no lag, this TV is fucking awesome. Some other strong points of this TV, movies look fucking amazing, menu system is great, have had no issues with plugging any devices in (pc, [HDMI from the PC directly to the TV works perfectly, just make sure to use the just scan setting] consoles, cable, etc.), unlimited picture options and a lot of advanced settings for such, and the TV looks fucking hot just sitting there.:wiggle:

But yeah, I come from a competitive gaming background, so, I understand the lag issues. Oh, and I've had this TV for almost two years now with absolutely no problems whatsoever (except that pretty red frame is a little loose, nothing a little glue won't fix)!

Oh, but if you don't want an LCD, DLP's are also fucking perfect, no lag whatsoever, although they tend to be darker.

22. assclown

assclown Active Member

My Samsung 46A650 has game mode, which eliminates lag. I want to pick up an LED soon though. :hs:

23. Chitown B

Chitown B Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  24. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

I never know which 1 to use 120hz or game mode :hsugh:

25. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I use game mode on mine... does 120Hz even do anything when playing a game? I don't think I've ever tried.

I'm still waiting for someone to actually give a reason WHY they think Plasma > LCD. I know Plasma generally looks way nicer and has no problem rendering motion without blur, but my parents have a Pioneer Elite (one of the early ones) and they can't leave the TV on with a static image out of fear for burn-in. Wouldn't a game, with the UI constantly on the screen for some, be more prone to Plasma burn-in? That's how it seems to me... makes LCD seem better for gaming.