Looking for a Decent/Dope Home Audio setup...$1300?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chabaz, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Chabaz

Chabaz OT Supporter

I was wondering if you guys could possibly help me out with a good home audio setup to go w/ my 50 inch g10 I just purchased.

I'm looking to spend around anywhere from 900-1500 total for everything. 5.1 is a must, 7.1 would be great....I don't really know that much about audio except that I know I want it to sound pretty damn good, and I want to hear Bruce Willis's spit, and his tuft of hair in all of the right places.

The only thing I do know about audio is that you need to spend at least as much as your TV is worth, and maybe a bit more to really get your knees knocked. My TV was $1299, so I could go a bit over that, and I could also upgrade in the future, keep that in mind.

Also, I know setup is key, and I am willing to rearrange and place my speakers/sub in optimal positions.

Like I said, I don't know much...please help!

Thank you very much,

2. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

For $1300 you could get a decent 2.1 setup going...5.1 is pushing it, and 7.1 is out of the question. Hell, I've got roughly $2500 going right now on a 2.1 setup and I don't think it is top of the line in anyway.

Is this going to be a setup for a home theater, or just a living room setup to boost sound? Either way I would probably say you should look into a decent receiver if you want to save money in the long run. Speakers can be replaced "cheap," but if you invest in a decent receiver now, you can build off of that later. I personally like Denon stuff a lot, so I would look into some of their lower end stuff. You might be able to get a few good bookshelf speakers or similar for fronts, and a center with a budget around $1300. Wait and buy your rears later. Honestly I would say just start building with quality components. So what if you don't have a 5.1 system right away. But I personally believe you will be much more happy with a quality 2.1 system now than a cheap 5.1

3. Spidey

Spidey Member

You could probably start off with a decent mid-range receiver like the Onkyo tx-sr607 for around $400 and use whatever is left in your budget for speakers. This should be enough to at least keep you content for a while.