Looking for a computer. Tips?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coaxsist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Coaxsist

Coaxsist Re-create... Innovate

Have any tips as to what kind I should get? What kind of things should it have in it? (Besides the obvious stuff)(RAM upgrades, sound, vid card etc...)
    Thanks

2. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

You need to describe what you want to use it for. Hardcore gaming? Video editing? Whats the intended use.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

What are you using it for? Gaming, word processing and web surfing, video editing?

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

as you can see, the first tip is to figure out what you want to do with your computer. if you are just browsing the internet, listening to music and basic stuff, then you have all of the options in the world. once you start getting into gaming, video encoding, playing HD content, then you start to have to worry about your graphics card and your processor.

if you are doing any of those things, then you need to go with an Intel Core2Duo processor. it is just that much better than any AMD processor right now that it makes no sense otherwise.

if you are just going with basic internet and word processing type stuff, then it doesn't really matter what you get. there are those who will say that getting anything other than an Intel based system is just stupid, but honestly if you can save a few hundred dollars for an AMD based system, it'll do everything you need. as a basic system, almost any PC you put together these days will cover your needs.

if you are technical and familiar with the inner workings of a PC, then building your own is going to be the best bet. these days it doesn't save you a ton of money, but you are in control of exactly what you get and you'll end up with a better system overall.
    if you aren't technical, you'll get different feelings from people here. you can try to find someone technical to build the system for you or you can go with a pre-built computer. most of the name brand companies are fine. there are those that are better and worse, but in most cases you're fine with any company you go with.

5. Coaxsist

Ok, cool. I'm mainly going to use it for pictures, picture editing/creating (PS CS3), possibly web design (DW CS3) and running firefox, security stuff, high school/college word processing. Maybe a video here and there.

PS: Photoshop
    DW: Dreamweaver

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3GB ram
    Intel CPU/Mobo
    Discrete graphics with no 'turbocache' or any other scams
    seagate/wd 7200RPM hard drive with 8MB cache MINIMUM
    Legit software licenses
    Liteon/plextor optical drives
    no creative/soundblaster crap
    sparkle/fortron/corsair/pcp&c/seasonic psu (antec does NOT qualify as seasonic -- since someone will mention that)

honestly you're asking the same question as everyone else that's been to this forum... I suggest you read more.

7. Coaxsist

I don't know what half that stuff is but 3 gigs of ram sounds like alot, but then again CS3 is pretty big... Thank you, I'll follow up on that.

*BTW* Where do I read more? (link?)

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well if you post a budget I can at least post a basic outline of what you can get for that price...

As for reading, start reading threads here and at other forums. Unfortunatly most forums are populated by idiots that buy brands like thermaltake and antec and whose experience is limited to 1 or 2 versions of a product. So take it all with a grain of salt. Use common sense.

3GB is not a lot when you consider you can get it for less than $80 (easily) and it's one of the quickest and least expensive ways to speed up a computer. And PS CS3 is a memory HOG so you needs lots, anyway.

9. Coaxsist

I have about $400

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow. um... yea. sorry... I thought we had more to work with.

I think you should save up money a little bit longer.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'll put something together that's really "basic" and we'll see where it comes out. $400 is a stretch.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay, before I list specs, let me point of that this is the minimum I feel comfortable recommending. I do not recommend you skimp on ANY of these options. that being said, its definitely bare-minimum, and with certain components, a few extra dollars may get you something much better.

I also assume you own LEGAL license that are TRANSFERABLE. So keep in mind this is without software, and you are responsible to ensure compliance with all laws.

$24.99 - Liteon 20X DVD+/-RW IDE Black
    $34.99 - CoolerMaster Elite 330 Black Mid-Tower Case
    $40.99 - Fortron 400W 120mm Power Supply
    $59.99 - Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA-II HDD
    $34.00 - Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 Memory
    $107.99 - Intel DP35DPM ATX Motherboard
    $169.99 - Intel Core2Duo E6550 2.33GHz LGA-775
    $74.99 - MSI GeForce 8600GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Ex16 HDCP Video Card
    =======
    $547.93

13. Coaxsist

Thanks ALOT :). I will absolutely look at this. Thanks Again.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

should have asked the budget first :rofl:

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, lulz.

16. Coaxsist

costs just keep coming up like crazy... and Ukrop's doesn't pay well enough...

17. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

note that he gave you a list for just the pc alone.
    if you also need a new monitor, mouse/keyboard, OS, etc,... add a few hundreds more.

18. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

For his budget I'd would downgrade the mobo to:
    GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G - $66.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128077

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

20. dissonance

Yea, thats you, and we already knew your response.

I was also going to recommend another motherboard with onboard video so he can save on the mobo and not have to buy a video card altogether. I only didn't because I didn't see any offered that I would recommend. My gf bought an Asrock a while back with onboard video and it has worked flawlessly for her.

21. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If it was me with that budget, I would get a $300 Microcenter pc, add a $100 video card and call it a day.

22. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

how about the cost of windows... you're not going to be able to build much for $400 including the cost of xp or vista.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

He said he's going to be doing heavy photoshop use. He also may want to run vista... These are all reasons to go with a discrete graphics solution.

24. dissonance

I wouldn't call that 'heavy' PS use. And he said nothing about Vista. When the time comes and he wants to upgrade to it then he may have more money and can afford a video card at that time (what you get now will only get cheaper or you'll get more for the same amount of money).

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Any PS usage is heavy enough to warrant a discrete card. Heck you can tell a difference between onboard and a discrete card with a simple drag/drop of a basic windows 2d form.

If he doesn't have a legit windows license that he can move to this machine, then he needs to buy one. Buying WinXP now is fucking retarded... So there is a good chance he'll use vista. That is why I qualified the statement with "may". It means he MIGHT, COULD, POSSIBLY. The english language is great; learn it some time.

If he needs vista, he needs it now due to licensing restrictions. Therefore IF he needs vista, and you agree that a discrete card is the best solution (duh) then he needs it now. Even if he has XP then he's going to benefit from discrete graphics.