Looking for a cheap sound upgrade.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JaJae, Jan 2, 2007.

1. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I have a 26" widescreen HDTV and a Sony 5 disc DVD player with HD upconversion. The TV's built-in speakers suck. I'm looking for a cheap upgrade. I'm not looking for anything spectacular. Trying to spend between $300-400 tops. I was hoping to get 2 floor speakers. What's the best way of doing this?

Thanks.

2. johnson

johnson New Member

Is a receiver in that $400 budget?

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Most people will tell you to stay away from them but a HTIB system will fit in that range. I don't think you'll get a pair of decent floor speakers for that price. I have some old school Cerwin Vegas that cost @ $350 a piece.

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Unfortunately yes...

I saw these...
    http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Northridge-6-Inch-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B00018XFCQ

And was thinking for $150 I might be able to muster up a receiver and go $50 over budget. But was trying to keep it in the $300-400 range if anyone could give some advice on how.

A HTIB isn't really what I'm looking for. I can't run wires to the rear in my apartment and not willing to pay for decent sounding wireless. I was hoping to get a couple floor speakers and a receiver that didn't sound like poop and would just be a decent upgrade to the TV speakers I have now.

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

For reference.. this is my TV
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-TXN2668WHF-Widescreen-DynaFlat-Monitor/dp/B000A3I49Q

I got it for about $300 at Sears since it's an 04 model.

My DVD player took a dive so I ordered one from a work cataloge with points accrued. It's not costing me anything.
    It's might not this exact model, but the specs are pretty damn close. The cataloge doesn't give the model numbers, but it gives the product details which basically match up. The one in the cataloge was silver. Might just be a color difference..
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7685999&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1138083263924

So basically I've only paid $300 for this. I'm not really willing to spend much more on sound. If it's not worthwhile to buy in my price range I'll just use the TV speakers.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Thanks.. any other suggestions?

How would those compare to the JBLs listed?

8. johnson

johnson New Member