looking for a cheap sound card that outputs 5.1 toslink optical

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 19, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

all i want to do is take audio (5.1 or dts) from my pc and send it to my amp over toslink optical

would something like [this] work? i know it's super cheap and probably crap, but all i need is 5.1 audio from dvds/video_ts/ac-3xvids

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't think there are any cheap cards with TOSLink ports on them. Hell, the stereo USB => TOSLink sound card that I bought for my MiniDisc player back in the day cost $80.

If you've got an SPDIF plug, you're probably better off using wire instead of fiber -- the fiber really doesn't add anything to the quality, not on an all-digital signal.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

4. dorkultra

well, the reason i wanted toslink optical over coaxial is because my dvd player is outputting coaxial at the moment and my amp only allows for one coaxial and one optical input

thanks for the links wolf

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

6. dorkultra

virtual 5.1 kinda steers me away from that adapter

i think the advantage of having toslink optical over coaxial is noise reduction. the headphone jack plugged into my amp produces some noise sometimes. it's not horrible, only noticiable at high volumes. i'm guessing that optical will reduce/eliminate that noise

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

8. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I doubt the virtual stuff will be used if you are using it in S/PDIF passthru mode, sounds like it's only for headphones, same as the virtual surround on many TVs now a days.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Something is wrong with your setup then. SPDIF is a digital connection -- noise in the line is only a problem if it exceeds the amplitude of the digital signal itself. What you're hearing is probably a ground voltage differential causing current to bleed from one device to another through the SPDIF cable. TOSLink doesn't conduct electricity, so it would avoid that problem, but the issue of the ground voltage differential needs to be addressed anyway. It was stupid of the designers of SPDIF to not use a three-conductor plug so they could use the third conductor to connect the grounding wires of two devices, but you can get the same effect by plugging your speakers and your computer into the same surge protector.