GUN Looking for a cheap .22

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BigBadJohn, Oct 1, 2008.

1. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Want something cheap to shoot every day and is fun. Ive got an Anschutz youth model .22 bolt action but want a semi-auto for fun plinking. I think 10/22 is the way to go. What are the different models? I know of 2. One is the carbine model with short black barrel and then theres the model with the longer silver barrel.
    Wheres the cheapest place to get these? I assume walmart. If so, is there a difference in quality between a walmart one and one youd buy from a real gun store?

Also, if I end up buying a used one, whats a good price to pay?
    I dont really plan on making many if any modifications to it. I just want to practice my aim without going broke
    I plan on shooting several times a week having a berm on my property and all :bowdown:

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Ruger probably lists all of the models on their website, just a thought.

3. BigBadJohn

Still. Doesnt tell me if walmart models are not as good

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Hotly debated topic.

I would say... they are same/same. The actually have a special version of the 10/22 with a stainless 22" tube, that you can only get there.

Remember though, the "stainless" receivers, are actually just silver paint. They are all alloy, so don't pay a bunch more money for it.

I still think you could get the most for the less buying used and outfitting it with parts you purchased aftermarket yourself.

5. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

I bought the cheapest 10/22 they make for $159 and I couldnt be happier. It shoots just as well as the higher end models and it was cheap enough that I can buy all sorts of upgrades.

6. BigBadJohn

I guess its the stainless version I was thinking about then. I wanted to say it was stainless but didnt know if Id catch shit for calling it stainless if it really wasnt
    I think the stainless sells for $219 at walmart usually. The short barreled carbine sells for like $185 or so IIRC
    Id probably just get some rings and a mediocre 3-9 or greater magnification scope
    Anything they sell thats easy to take the cope off? I like to shoot with and without scope

7. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Ruger 10/22
    Remington 597
    One of the 11ty thousand other .22's

8. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

There is an elevated scope base that allows use of the irons without removing the optic.

I have not used it so I can't tell you anything else.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would get the shorter barrel 10/22. The 22lr reaches max velocity in 13"-14" of barrel. The long 20" barrel do not actually do anything except make the gun more quiet. I would get a 16" barrel if possible.

If I were going to get a 10/22 and going to keep it stock I would just look at the crown of the muzzle. I would by the one with what looked to the be flattest and sharpest crown. Short of actually shooting it for accuracy this would proably be the best indicator. I've seen some 10/22's recently where the crown just didn't look right to me, but again I'm a nut about this shooting stuff.

10. When they say "stainless" or "blued" the only part they're talking about is the barrel itself. Everything else is identical and is just aluminum that's painted either black or silver.

11. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I have a 597. I wish I bought a 10/22.

12. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

I have that stainless 22" one from walmart and it works great. Quiet enough to where you don't need hearing protection. :coold:

13. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

My shitty little carbine model is almost as loud as my pellet gun. Im trying to find a 16-20" bull barrel for it right now.

14. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

Try and find an older 10/22, as the new ones have a few plastic parts