looking for a car to get by next summer...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by alverino03, Oct 12, 2003.

1. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

i'm looking for a car to get next summer. although it may sound a bit early, but it's never too early to start looking/researching. my budget will be around 12-15k'ish. two cars come to mind... '99-'00 honda civic si and '99-'01 subaru impreza 2.5 rs. also, i don't want anything more than let's say 5 years old...what car can ot recommend me?

*note* car will remain relatively stock throughout its life... so no spending 7k on a beater and 5k in mods etc...

2. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Hmm, wonder what I'll say?:big grin: Just remember, torque is your friend, there's no replacement for displacement (especially if you don't plan to mod), and AWD owns. Oh, and post #1000 :bigthumb:

3. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

i'm sure torque is no issue with the rs. i currently drive a '01 accord ex sedan which is a pig and i can accelerate decently. would you recommend buying an already modded rs? how is the car in terms of reliability/maintenance? anything i should be aware of?

4. Subie Driver

If you turbo, you need to be careful of the trnny. But since you won't be modding much, that shouldn't be a problem. I got mine new in summer 2000, and have had zero problems with it. There ws a recall on some of them for bad O2 sensors (factory got a bad batch from Bosch), and another recall to reflash the ECU (some little fix, didn't really notice any difference). And once my CEL came on, car drove fine, but I took it in anyways, since it's still under warrenty. Some kind of a catalytic error, they had no idea what caused it, so they just replaced the cat. The cat replacement was the only "problem" I've ever had, and it didn't leave me stuck, and I drove it for 4 days between the CEL scan and when they actually replaced the cat. s for buying an already modded car, that can go 2 ways. If it's modded, give it an extr good look over to see if it's been abused or anything. If it's just light mods (intake, exhaust, shifter), might not be a big deal. Heck, you might be able to get a better price on a modded one than a stock one, or at least equal, giving you all the mods for free. A couple things to know: they are known to have a clutch shudder when cold with the factory clutch/flywheel, and it does go away once the car is warmed up. Can also be taken care of with an aftermaket setup (what I plan to do eventually). Also, expect some dash rattles. They kinda suck, but you get used to them. 166 lb/ft can do that to you ;) I can't really talk about maintenence costs, since I've never had to do anything but oil changes, but as for reliabilty, Subaru's are right up there with Honda and Toyota, according to Consumers Guide. Lots of high-milage RS's and Legacy's (same engine) running around with no problems. If you find one to look at, let me know the year, I can tell you the differences to look out for. Good luck, and happy hunting!

5. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

thanks! :bigthumb: one question though, what is this clutch shudder? :dunno:

6. Subie Driver

Basiclly, when you let out the clutch to go from a stop, it kinda skips and, well, shudders. Only does it when the car is cold, and only does it with the stock clutch setup. I guess they have a fix for it now, where you can get the better stuff from the dealership tht will fix the shudder problem. I'd rather just wit till the stocker is worn out, and just get good Clutchmaster clutch with a 12 lb flywheel.

7. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

what do you mean by skips? sorry for all these questions but i've never owned a manual car before. do you mean like the car rocks or jerks? like as if not giving enough gas and is about to stall?

on a side note, does subaru offer any extended warranties of any sort?

8. Subie Driver

The clutch, when cold, doesn't grab right way, and kinda skips, giving the car a quick shake. Car accelerates, just not very smoothly. Kind of hard to explain, but it's not really a huge problem, just a little annoyance in the morning. Only really a problem in the morning, by the way, not every time you go to drive somewhere. As for extended warrenties, they do offer them on new cars, but I have no idea about used cars, might depend on the different dealerships.