looking for a 100W x 4 amp & a damping factor q

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xivera, Aug 29, 2002.

1. xivera

xivera Active Member

I'm looking for a good 100W x 4 amp. Any suggestions!?
    I'm strongly considering a Crossfire amp because a buddy could hook me up since he sells & uses them.

And... what's the deal w/ damping factor? My current amp (MTX RT4180... yes, it's old) has a D.F. of > 200. A Crossfire VR804 has a D.F. of >150. Is a high number good? Would somebody expand on damping factor? [Incidentally, we lightly touched on damping factor (alpha) in my EET class and I'd like to understand the real-world application better. The class seems to be more of another math class than an actual electronics class... right now.]

2. 04

04 Guest

Damping factor is meaningless!!!!!!

If you are studying to be an EE, you should know that variables can easily manipulated to make something look super!

Damping factor is just the ratio of the output transistor resistance to the load being driven. You can substitute a higher impedence loudspeaker to make the number better. Not to mention, adding the speaker wire will usually have more resistance than the amplifier output transistors, making the damping factor meaningless again. And besides, the loudspeaker being driven is usually the weakest link. A factor of 10 or higher is usually considered inaudible.

Here is a great link on truth in damping factor: http://www.trueaudio.com/post_013.htm

3. xivera

xivera Active Member

Oh, is that it!? I was making it so much bigger than it was!
    Ah yes... alpha is starting to make sense now!

:bigthumb:

4. 04

04 Guest

Sweet!

Learning all this stuff will be HUGELY benificial if you ever plan on getting REALLY SERIOUS into car audio. You will start to laugh about all the crap marketing people make up to sell their products....

5. xivera

xivera Active Member

That's what marketing people do... :sad2:

6. 04

04 Guest

Yup, pretty much... :(