looking for ~300 watts per channel for 3 channels

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, May 26, 2007.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

any solutions that dont cost a shit ton? lets say price is set to a limit of ~2500 or so

PS home theater application

2. joetama

joetama New Member

What speakers, source units, and Pre-Amp will you be using with the amp?

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

paradigm studio 100 v4s, right now im running them with a rx-v1600 hooked into twin monoblocks doing 200 watts rms @8ohms. i experimented using these amps on my small studio 20s and they sounded great, so im thinking my 100s can easily do 300, or possibly even more :dunno:

the reason im not running a pre/pro is because its hard for me to find one in my price budget that has massive connectivity like my receiver does and ill probably be upgrading my receiver in a couple years as well to something that has the latest HDMI support etc. :dunno:

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

infact im thinking i could probably go to even 400 or so (watts)

edit: after i googled around all of my options seem to be atleast 3500 dollars :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2007
  5. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

Wait....so why do you think you could go to 300 or 400 watts?

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

because others have done it with my speakers and more headroom the better, mine are rated at 210 as it is, it simply comes down to carelessness.

now would you like to add to the thread and be less useless?

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  7. TFunkadelic

No. I will say you don't have a very good understanding of amplifier power/speaker power handling though.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:rofl::rofl:

"Most Useless H&CA Member" - TFunkadelic

When I demo'd these at the shop they were getting ~300. They even recommended large power amplifiers for these. In 2 seperate reviews for the version 3 and 4 they were getting 325 and 250 respectively. This thread isn't about what power I should be running its about what company can do it for me. I own these speakers, I know what they can do, thats not the subject of this thread. You have proven once again how useless you are to this forum and to the human race in general.

IL+1

On a positive note Paradigm has completely redone their web site.

http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference/speaker_only-specification-29-1-2-13.paradigm
    Oh what is that? Suitable amplifier range clear up to 350 watts?! Amazing! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I guess the people who build these speakers in house have no clue about how much they can handle.

Now, if anyone knows of any amplifiers that go up into that range without raping the bank I'd like to know about them.

9. TFunkadelic

No....you still don't get it. You can't even realize that you're wrong. You're never going to learn anything.

Many of the better sounding amps of the past and present weren't very powerful.

10. TFunkadelic

I suppose I could have been more helpful in my initial post in asking why do you think you need more power? What are you trying to improve in your system by adding more powerful amplifiers.

11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

in upgrading amps id expect a general improvement in overall sound quality including dynamic range :dunno:, im not saying i want to just throw an extra 100+ watts on them i also expect better amps in every other aspect.

12. TFunkadelic

Your price range is actually solid, you could do quite a bit with it if you're willing to bend your initial plans a bit. For example, why be so set on a 3 channel amplifier? Comparatively speaking (to stereo and 5 channel or more amplifiers) they are quite rare and the bulk of companies do not offer their entire product line in 3 channel format, so you've already eliminated quite a few potentially great options.

Instead, I'd recommend either getting monoblocks again, or you could get multiple stereo amplifiers (i.e. one stereo amp for the front LR, one for the rear, one for front and rear center etc.).

As far as watts go...consider how rarely you actually use even 20 watts, let alone something in the hundreds. I'm aware your Paradigms have relatively low sensitivity, at about 88db/watt. My Proac Response 2.5's have the same rating , and 10 watts is usually plenty to achieve a comfortable music listening level. I have a vintage 105x2 watt McIntosh amplifier that I use with them, and I've never needed close to the full 105.

With that in mind, consider this; Do you want to put your $2,500 towards a better SOUNDING amp and get less power, or is having 300 watts absolutely necessary for you?

13. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

What's the third channel going ot be used for?

14. TFunkadelic

center channel I'd imagine?

15. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Maybe the upcoming Outlaw7900?

Power output: 300 watts RMS x 7 (all channels driven simultaneously into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.05% total harmonic distortion). 450 watts RMS x 7 @ 4 ohms

pre-order price 2999

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

center
    the studio cc-690 is massive

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i was looking at that and the Adcom amps.

i wish i had 10-20gs for some hardcore monos. :hs:

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2007
  18. joetama

joetama New Member

Outlaw build some very solid great sounding equipment. Would be a decent choice.

Don't we all... :(

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah the monoblocks i have right now are Outlaw Audio, im just getting upgrade fever since i got a new job.

20. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

I don't see why you would need anywhere NEAR that power for a center...

You watch THAT many movies? Also, you need NOTICEABLY more output out of your center?

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the center currently has no amp

its not aboud need its about want :rofl: and one upping people, etc, my money goes into either debt repayment, my project car or HT shit

22. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Use one of your current mono's on the center...

Then just get a great 2channel amp....

More selection... :).

23. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i was thinking about getting a hardcore 5 channel and keeping the levels on the receiver front the front 3 up and my SL and SR way down, and then taking these 2 200 watt monos and throwing it on SRL and SRR

http://www.adcom.com/prod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&cid=43&sid=3&prodid=1146

[​IMG]

if there are some higher end mono/2channels that would be a good choice and under 3k or so then let me know cuz im having trouble finding stuff

24. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

25. joetama

joetama New Member

You should upgrade for one reason and one reason only....

Sonic Perfection... ;)