looking at upgrading hardware v.vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SilverWyrm, Mar 10, 2007.

1. SilverWyrm

SilverWyrm New Member

I just upgraded to vista and things are a bit sluggish..
    currently runnin an amd 64 3500+ and a gig of ram..

wanting to up it to 2 gigs and a faster processor..
    are the socket 939 processors available good-enough for me, or should I be looking at new mobos as well? Can anyone recommend me some cheap-ish but good RAM?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Your CPU should be fine but that extra gig of RAM will really help. You might also want to get a fast thumb drive for ReadyBoost if you have a free USB port. Also, if your hard drive is more than a couple years old, upgrading to a faster one will help overall performance.

3. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Vista is not an "upgrade" by any means. Save your soul and go back to XP. In a few years when you need the extra memory for humongous apps, you can reconsider Vista, but right now there's absolutely no reason for it. Drivers are in beta. Most popular applications don't support it. Go back while there's still time.

4. SilverWyrm

SilverWyrm New Member

Readyboost?

Also, Supergeek: It's not really that bad. I rather like it, actually.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Its works fine and I don't have any hardware across three PCs ranging from 5 years old to brand new that doesn't work.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

In short, Vista will use any available flash memory to speed cache files for quick access, taking advantage of flash's near-zero seek time compared to hard drives. The result is a more responsive system and frequently used apps loading faster. I've seen reports of famously slow loading apps like Photoshop loading in 1-2 seconds with Readyboost.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Really, what popular applications would those be?

8. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

You want a list? Start with everything by Adobe, which includes Photoshop. Try googling it, you'll find a lot of criticisms about Vista, but not a lot of support aside from "it LOOKS COOL! and it's ONLY 10-15% slower than XP on the same hardware!" Most drivers are still in beta.

Why are people rushing to install to this piece of shit, unready, resource hog?

What driving force is behind wanting to use Vista? A cool sidebar with a clock and other widgets? Try Yahoo widgets, or a dozen other widget platforms, all free. I just don't get it.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Really....

ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE AND WINDOWS VISTA
    Q. Does Adobe support Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 on Windows Vista?

A. Adobe released Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 in November 2006 to integrate Adobe Acrobat 8
    Professional, as well as to include Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 as an added bonus in the
    box. While Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 and its components do not officially support Windows
    Vista, we are not currently aware of major issues that would adversely affect customer use of
    Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 on Windows Vista.
    (Technical Support will document any known
    issues in the Adobe knowledgebase, which customers can access at www.adobe.com/go/
    support. Enter the keyword Vista.)

Q. Does Adobe Reader 8 run on Windows Vista? Do earlier versions of Adobe Reader
    run on Windows Vista?
    A. Adobe Reader 8 has been tested on prerelease versions of Windows Vista. We are now
    actively testing Adobe Reader on the shipping editions of Windows Vista. Customers can
    install and run Adobe Reader but may run into issues. In the first half of 2007, we expect to
    release an update to the free Adobe Reader 8 to support Windows Vista.
    Earlier versions of Adobe Reader do not officially support Windows Vista. Adobe does not
    plan to release updates to earlier versions of Adobe Reader to support Windows Vista.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/adobe_products_and_windows_vista.pdf

Those "issues", btw, are minor and don't affect most users.

Gee, you sure about that "everything by Adobe" statement you made?

As to the why, there are plenty of technical reasons beyond the eyecandy. The fact that drivers do not require reboots (despite what their installers may insist on). Or the fact that the biggest exploit to come out so far involves feeding back audio to the voice recognition system. Despite looking like XP on Winblinds on Roids, the entire kernal was revamped from the ground up.

To be honest, nothing anyone is saying is really new. I remember the same BS arguments about upgrading to DOS 4.1 (I think I'm really dating myself there but oh well). "OMG It uses more memory!! Do you really need those features?!!" Same with Dos to windows, same with 3.11 to 95 to 98 to 2000 to XP to XP SP2 (ME just sucked, even MS admits that).

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm running Acrobat Reader 8 and Photoshop Elements 5.0 here on Vista just fine. The only issue I've had with Photoshop is that I had to edit the shortcut to run it as admin but I blame that more on Adobe's crappy programmers than Vista. Any productivity app that need admin rights to run needs a serious rethinking.

11. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

LOL @ Supergeek being a n00b who has never used Vista. I have been editing photos and websites in Photoshop CS all day. I have also seen it install flawlessly on my friends new comp and my 4 year old comp without a single driver issue. My system runs just as fast as before.

12. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

This Readyboost - is it built into vista or is it a 3rd party app?

13. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Built in.

edit: got that wrong. Let's try again. It pre-cache sections of the disk onto the drive so they can be accessed much faster than from the disk itself. The contents are also encrypted and compressed so if the drive is swiped the contents should be safe. It also works with ReadyBoot to speed up boot time file access.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Whether or not Vista can run on your hardware, the real issue is that Vista puts more of a load on your hardware than XP does, and the only real benefit that it offers users is the ability to spend hundreds of dollars on something shiny. Tell me one thing that Vista does that you wish XP could do.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like a good opportunity to use an IDE => CompactFlash converter and plug in a 4GB CF card. Too bad I'd have to spend several hundred dollars just to test the setup.

16. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

When copying or moving files from one folder to another, when it finds a duplicate file name, it thumbnails the file making it easier to see if its really a duplicate picture. Then it can automatically rename one of the potential duplicates without further prompting as it finds them. The first time it comes up, its like "Damn they should have done this years ago."

VASTLY improved search.

More informative file copy/move dialog with transfer rate shown.

Live thumbnails on the task bar.

Can thumbnail media icons on desktop (pic, movie)

The ability to windows+tab or alt+tab through running apps (again live thumbnailed) and pick one out of the list with the mouse instead of having to tab, tab, tab to it.

Improved task manager and Resource Monitor. (Sysinternals influence maybe?)

17. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I don't think USB is really bottlenecking flash yet. I just got a 4GB Patriot USB drive from Newegg and plugged it in back. Its supposed to read around 30MB/sec I think. Works great.

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Too add to that:

Improved TCP/IP stack with (Compound TCP, Packet filter hooks for software firewalls, autotuning, etc)

Improved driver model - most drivers can be installed without reboots. Driver crashes can now be trapped, avoiding BSODs (I've seen this with the video drivers, very slick)

ADMX GPO templates & other GPO enhancements - means nothing to end users but is awesome for admins

DX10 - more options for game companies with increased interfaces

Bittlocker - built in drive encryption

Built in Speech recognition

There is a whole list more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_features_new_to_Windows_Vista

19. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Was that what happened when I got a system tray notice about the graphics subsystem being restarted? If so, that's really cool to have avoided a bsod like that.

20. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yep. My nVidia drivers do it about once a day (DAMN YOU nVIDIA!). I also noticed when I loaded them the display switched to the default VGA driver then back to the new nVidia drivers right away. The setup still asked for a reboot, but it was not really needed.

21. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Wow very nice. That alone should be reason enough to use Vista over XP. Sorry to hear about your nVidia problems. I've been pretty lucky I guess. I have a 7600GT and have only had one video driver crash but I don't game so I'm probably not stressing it too much. Hopefully nVidia will get their act together and get some better drivers out soon.

22. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Does it seem like Vista handles high memory loads better than XP? I use Parallels and will often forget that I have a couple of VMs running and sucking up tons of memory. Vista's task manager will show something like 1.7GB used (I have 2GB) but the system doesn't seem to bog down like XP would have.

Oh, another good new thing in Vista: I/O Priority

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place :rolleyes:

24. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Adding to what others have already said:

The search feature is amazing. I hit my Start button and just type what I want and hit enter, boom, program opens, files whatever. I was trying to find an essay I wrote in high school the other day, I have probably hundreds of essays and I can't remember the names of any of them, so I just typed a few words I remember and it showed right up, searches instantly through the full text of documents.

When I installed Vista it was like a slipstream XP install, I entered the key and it did the rest, connected to internet to download updates, and drivers. I did not have to get out one single driver CD, I even checked my video card and the Nvidia GeForce driver that Vista located and downloaded was more up to date than the one on the CD that I bought that day.

I plugged in my PDA and it automatically detected it was a PDA and asked what I wanted to sync and even downloaded automatically the Dell Axim x50v drivers, same thing with my digital camera.

And I'm currently playing with the voice command feature, its pretty cool, although I probably won't use it very often.

25. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

THAT sounds useful.