GUN Looking at turning my AR into a long range gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pimp Cat, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

how long range are we talking about? and for target or defense?

either way, get some really good rings, like badger rings, and mount them to your flattop, not the carry handle. that way, you'll actually have a good cheek weld when using the optics.

oh, and learn to shoot it well in all positions before you use the bipod. we figured that out when using the bipod on my friend's pss. it can be a hinderance if you're not already a good match shooter.

3. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

sweet thanks man. i think i will just mount it right to the flat top. and i have spent quite a bit of time in standing, sitting, kneeling, and laying positions. my problem is that with the 20'' HBAR is too damn heavy to hold up :)

4. footratfunkface

build some muscles. and if you're looking to do competition shooting, you might want lead weights for the handguards and buttstock. my friend shoots DCM competitions with those fatass SS match barrels, which are 1" thick under the handguards. then he loads those lead weights under the handguards and in the buttstock. that's heavy. then he proceeds to shoot in matches that take the entire day to complete.

good shooting can be done without a bipod, you just have to have some big muscles.

5. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

i do have decent sized muscles. doing curls now @ 150lbs

i think i might add some weights to that little compartment in the stock

6. footratfunkface

you can buy the lead buttstock weight through several different manufacturers. my friend just got his through bushmaster, because he was already buying a few other things like that from them. the weight is wedge shaped, to fit the butstock cavity perfectly.

and yeah, i'd say that if you can curl 150 on the bar, that's pretty good. i'm around 110 or so, if i'm having a good day.

7. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

how much will adding the lead help me ballance the gun?

8. footratfunkface

it's not so much a balance issue as it is a stability issue. if you just add lead to the rear, it MAY help counter the weight of the HBAR barrel, but most likely, it's going to be too much, and put the majority of the weight in the rear. that probably won't help you all that much.

the lead is really just to keep the movement down, since a rifle with that much mass has that much more inertia, making it harder to move, thus more stable, assuming you have the strength to hold it up. it helps compensate for small muscle twitches, heartbeats, and other little things that would normally make any other AR move. it takes a lot more to move a rifle that heavy, so it's good for match shooting.

however, you still haven't stated whether you're wanting a match shooter or a tactical shooter. if you're going for tactical applications, don't put the weight in. your barrel is a 1/9 twist anyways, so you're not going to get long range out of it, because you can't use anything over 75 grains in it. i don't know how long you want to reach, but 75 is the least that i'd consider for long range AR's. in which case you'll need a 1/7 twist, and i'd go with another 20" flattop. that's really your only option for 1/7, since the only other thing anyone makes is 14.5" 1/7 barrels, and i'd rather have the extra barrel length for accuracy and effective range of the round. i suppose you could get a true M4 barrel, and have a long flash suppressor thrown on it, but you still have the inadequacies of the shorter length.

9. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

well im not looking for huge ranges. maybe up to like 300 yards

<---- 1/9 twist

10. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I really don't like the bipod on an AR. I seem to get zeroing issues with a bipod, even on my HBAR.
    I prefer sandbags or even just my arm.

11. footratfunkface

okay, i was assuming you meant long range. 300 meters is not long range. you can still use the 75 grain rounds, which will give you better accuracy and wounding capabilities at that range. basically, all you need to do is learn to shoot. with iron sights. when you become really good with those, think about an aimpoint or eotech or something.

12. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

i actualy have 2 sand bags sitting next to me on the couch that i just need to fill up with sand

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2003
  13. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

i have between 100 and 200 to spend on a scope. and not that i just got layed off even that figure is up in the air for now :(

14. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

k.

just out of question here. whats wrong with the tasco? i have one on my .22 rifle and it has workd great

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i think for the purposes you plan on using the gun, Tasco would be fine. Check Nikon if you want better glass without breaking the bank.

A $1200 Nightforce or Leupold isn't really worth the quality/price difference for as casually as you appear to shoot.

16. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Don't forget Zeiss, that would go before Leupold. But he really can't afford those.

17. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

yep i am pretty casual. but im still confused on teh big difference in a $100 tasco and a $1200 leupold :dunno:

18. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

Old school military sling > muscles. Muscles get tired, quickly. My coaches have always told me in offhand if you don't get the shot off in a few seconds, forget it. Set the rifle down and start over.

19. footratfunkface

yeah, and the ability of a scope to track, and having crisp optical quality all the way to the edge of the view is another thing that you get with the more expensive scopes. you also get much better materials, craftsmanship, and often, as is the case with leupold, great customer service. leupold will do custom work on a scope you send them, and they're not too expensive. a friend of mine had the cams changed out for some with a different MOA adjustment on a scope with non-swappable cams, and they did it for a pretty good price, and pretty quickly.

20. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

cool. thanks guys. ill look into a better one

21. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

i got a good simmons for $150