A&P Looking at this Camera *Nikon 7900*

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by gnat, May 10, 2005.

1. gnat

gnat New Member

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp7900/

Here is the deal... I have a 200$ gift card for amazon and I'm looking for a camera. I'll be adding some money to it. The last camera I had was a nikon 2500 I loved it and still use it with very good results. I know its not much of a point and shoot camera but, it had a very good macro for what it was and took some nice shots.

So I'm very partial to nikon. If I bought the 7900 and got half the use I got from my 2500 I'd be more than satisfied. My g/f has a canon a60 I believe.. and I've been less than impressed with it. I know canon is kinda the "in" camera at the moment but I'm still leaning towards the 7900. The SD500 in comparisson costs 100$+ more anyway so its out of my price range.

I'll be able to spend 200$, plus my 200$ gift card. This will have to include shipping and all so the ~350$ 7900 would fit the bill perfectly IMO.

Here they are side by side http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd500%2Cnikon_cp7900&show=all

Any thoughts before I hit the buy button?

2. palbanes

palbanes New Member

good point and shoot

3. palbanes

palbanes New Member

I recommend the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 for it's image stabilization and price, you could grab one and get some accessories too like larger media, tripod, etc.

edit: The Panasonic has less megapixels, but it performs much better in low light than the Nikon. You don't need 7 megapixels unless you're printing above 11x14

4. mucky

mucky .

Where are you buying this at?

5. mucky

mucky .

Plus the fact that a 1/1.8" size CCD sensor and 7MP is really pushing it on the noise/graininess factor. A 5MP with this size sensor would probably better.

6. gnat

gnat New Member

buying from amazon, probably one of the other vendors there... its where I have the gift card for use.

7. gnat

gnat New Member

Well I'll probably not be taking any photos over 1600x1200 as is... but I want a camera with a nice nice picture for the money and alot of options. The nikon looked pretty stacked with options/settings n stuff.

But I'm definately looking the panasonic over now, and appreciate the input guys.

Believe me when I say I'm a noob at this stuff, but I think I have an eye for a picture ;)