Looking at possibly buying a 86 Toyota pu 4x4

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Rynxprs, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

I was wondering how well they hold up? And what would be a good price on it...just judging by what you see.

It has about 170K miles on it.
    Auto, 4 cylinder
    Fiberglass Fenders
    Good tires
    Needs battery
    No tailgate
    Black primer body

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

The 22RE is a good engine. Not allot of HP but if you treat it right it'll run forever. The body however will not hold up so well. This one already looks a bit rough but the beds are notorious for rusting halfway up the side.

3. Phantom

Phantom Active Member

I have an 87 4Runner - I would sell this car if someone offered 5X blue book cash. The 4Runner is essentially the same as the pickup, except for shape. It will be slow, but it won't let you down either, they just keep on running.

That 86 (if that is the correct year) seems odd. I thought they only had manual hubs until much later, but I guess I'm wrong. Anyway, that truck looks kinda beat - you can 86-89 vehicles in excellent shape for $1500 to $2000. Good luck

4. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I didn't notice it not having manual hubs. Maybe because it is an auto? My '92 4x4 had manual hubs but it was also a manual tranny. I would also recommend seeing if there is anything in better shape available.

5. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

Thanks for the comments....He's asking $700...i figured I'd offer $400 and if he took it he took it...if not, oh well.

6. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

fits 32"s stock

7. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

At that price why not, cheap transportation. Or are you just using it for offroad?

8. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

Lookin for a beater to haul things and stuff like, commute to work sometimes.

I have a Wrangler too for offroading.

9. explosivo

explosivo Guest

If it's just for a daily driver, get it. Toyota PU's are great.

However, if you did want it for offroading, you're looking at one that's a year too new :)

10. Ride

Ride Guest

Auto tranny is weak, and if it has auto hubs swap em over to manuals, the early auto hubs are junk. Other than that keep on the maintenance if you buy it and it'll last forever.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:werd: get one with a solid front axel if you're gonna offroad.

I'd definitely get one if they wern't so pricey, tho... Damn near impossible to find one that's a reasonable price considering how bad of a shape most of em are in (takes a lickin and keeps on tickin). That and they're sluggish at best. But it'll never die, that's for sure.