GUN Looking at picking up my first handgun...advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Crazyjester24, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

Turned 21 today and want to self gift myself with a decent handgun..looking at either getting a HK USP .40 or .45 or maybe a sig sauer in the same calibers. Any thoughts on either?

2. James Hook

James Hook Never trust a government that doesn't trust its ow

3. What's your experience with guns? What are you looking to use this gun for? It's kind of a red flag here when a gun noob wants a HK.:mamoru:

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Try a bunch, buy the one you shoot best. 9mm is good, the price is lower so you can shoot more for less.

5. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

I have a good history with guns, both parents in law enforcement so i have fired my moms service weapon (Glock .40), dad is a gun collector, im in ROTC here at school so im very familar with guns and am very comfortable around them, i own 2 myself, shoot when i can, but due to being down at school im not able to shoot as much as i would like to. really im looking at getting a CCW here soon and would like to have a good carry weapon.

6. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

i only chose the .40 or .45 calibers because thats what i have shot in the past, 9mm isnt out of the question but im more partial to those

7. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

I like my Sig P229R in .40

8. I'm a big Glock fan when it comes to concealed carry. You'd be best served to go to a range that rents pistols and see what you like. Some people like real small guns like the G30 and some people prefer slightly larger ones for CCW. The only way you'll know what you like is if you try them. If not a Glock, my next choice for CCW would probably be a Sig. Caliber choice is really about what you like. Modern defensive ammo is quite capable and 9mm, .40, and .45 will all work great. The advantage to the 9mm and .40 is that the ammo is cheaper than .45 and you'll be able to get higher magazine capacities with the 9 and .40. (and they weigh less.)

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Exactly what I was thinking :hs:

10. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

We're not real operators.

11. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

Yeah like i said, i can do 9mm its just i have shot with .40 before so thats what im used to. the one thing i dont like about some glocks is the internal hammer that doesnt allow you to uncock it once you have cocked it without ejecting all of the rounds in the magazine, but im not sure if all glocks have that feature or if its just certain models. i personally like having an external hammer on a handgun, but thats just me

12. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

last time i checked you cant decock a weapon with an internal hammer without ejecting all of the rounds? maybe im wrong but if you just eject the one in the chamber it would load the next in the magazine?

edit: im a dumbass and forgot about the fact that you can eject the magazine, eject the round in the chamber and then decock the weapon....forget i said anything

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  13. Glocks don't have hammers. They are striker-fired. When you chamber a round, the gun isn't "cocked" like you'd expect. When you pull the trigger, the striker is brought back against the spring and then released in one motion.

14. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

really? i always thought that if they didnt have an external hammer that they must have an internal one. i knew that rifles were like that but i didnt know the same was for handguns

15. Check this out...
    http://www.sniperworld.com/content.aspx?ckey=Sniper_World_Glock_Index

You can make the parts translucent so you see how it all works. The striker spring is held under just a small amount of compression when a round is chambered. Only when the trigger is pulled is the striker actually pulled back and let go.

16. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

9mm for target cause of the cheap ammo, 45 for carry. I enjoy shooting my 1911 far more than my 9mm glock but ammo price for 9mm is soooooo much cheaper

17. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Some rifles don't work that way either. Semi autos often do, but bolts and some lever guns don't.

18. Crazyjester24

Crazyjester24 New Member

well yeah i know that, i know semiautos work that way with rifles but i didnt think that it had carried over to handguns. you learn something new everyday, as for caliber i think i want to stick with .40 or .45 for carry and if i get a 9mm it will be for the range, any suggestions? looking to pay somewhere around 600-850 or so, right now all i need are ideas on where to start. i can narrow my selection down from there based on how they fit my hand.

19. Just go to a range and rent as many as you can. Then, get the Glock. :big grin:

20. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:rofl:

21. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

That's an incredibly cool and helpful animation.