looking at picking up CDT ef-61s, need amp suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bait, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bait

bait New Member

120w rms max
    theres not much room left in the budget - i.e. no JL 300/2 :wtc:
    running off of a decent panasonic HU - cant remember the model right this second
    I was looking at a hifonics that does 90w rms x2, will that push them reasonably?
    Will even less power sound good if its clearer?
    I dont really want to spend more than about 110 on an amp. Im worried much more about quality than loudness.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$110 doesn't buy much new... Used, perhaps. CDT's like some decent power... If they are rated at 120W RMS... Then I'd give them that... Clean power, of course.

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Even if they can handle 120W RMS, an amp that pushes out 90W RMS isn't a bad thing. It won't be as loud, but it will still sound good, won't it?

Really, on that low of a budget it will be hard to do get full use of those speakers =\ Used or eBay wouldn't be a bad idea.

4. bait

bait New Member

the two people i expected to hear from :p

i need to start hitting up ebay - ive been scouring fs forums for awhile
    either of you know good used audio fs forums?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

90W is still okay. Just, in my experience, CDTs like power, and really shine when you give it to em.

I took some CDT CL5x coaxials in my volvo when I needed audio on a budget, and ran them off the HU. Sounded okay... Then I hooked up a Crossfire TEK 75.2 and they sounded GREAT. Better than many component setups! (friend had the same model car with some $200 infinity comps in there, and my $55 CDTs sounded better :mamoru: ) The CL-5x's were rated at around 50W, I think, but the Crossfire gave a clean 75W+ to em, and they loved it.