Looking at Helmets... Shoei TZ-R

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ZoRphic, Dec 28, 2007.

1. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

Just wondering if any of you guys have this helmet? .. and if so what do you guys think of it? I am just getting into motorcycles and this helmet appeals to me. I am going to go tomorrow to the local bike shop to see if they have it and to try it on. I have yet to purchase a bike (figured id get all the safety equipment first so i dont cheap out) but im definitely looking to get a cruiser or standard instead of a sports bike.

2. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

If it fits you and it's comfortable go for it, Shoei is a very reputable brand. Your helmet is the most important (and likely most expensive) piece of gear you'll buy, so make sure it's a good quality and fit. Can't say I have anything bad to say about Shoeis.

3. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

thanks i appreciate it. now i think i've read somewhere that every helmet model fits differently... so with that said .. each model that shoei puts out will have a different fit even though it is the same company?

4. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Most of them will fit differently yes. Some are designed to fit smaller, some are for a more rounded head, some for a more oval head - every helmet is different. When I bought my Arai I tried on both the RX-7 that I ended up buying and the Quantum-2. The RX7 fit beautifully, the Quantum wasn't even close. Same deal with Suomy, Shoei, Shark, etc. they all make helmets in a variety of shapes to fit a variety of people and purposes.

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I've got a TZ-R, and my logic while shopping was that I'd rather have a cheap helmet from a great company than a great helmet from a cheap company.

I hadn't figured that out until I bought a top of the line KBC or HJC originally from motorhelmets.com, and one of the vents broke within a week so I returned it to a Cycle Gear and picked up a TZ-R for about $80 more.

Two seasons later and I haven't had a single problem, vents and visor still function the same as the day I bought it. Like luxy, I can't comment as to the fit- you'll have to try it on yourself.

6. ZoRphic

ZoRphic BoBo

Thanks guys i really appreciate the help and insight