Looking at getting a first bike/first time rider

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Triad, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Triad

Triad I deficate locomotives.

I have been thinking about getting a bike now for about 2-3 months but I dont know a whole lot the different makes and models. I have rode a bike before (not on busy streets or highways but up and down my street) a long time ago.
    I'm 21 years old, clean driving record and weigh about 220lbs.
    Here are some bikes that are avalible in my area, I was hoping maybe some of you guys that know more than me can offer some insight.

These are comming straight from the online ads

[​IMG]
    Price: $2300
    1990 KAWASAKI ZX-7 new paint, Vance & Hines exhaust, call for more info, $2,300 OBO,

[​IMG]
    Price: $1800
    1989 KAWASAKI NINJA 600, tank bag, helmet, gloves, used for transportation to & from work, runs good, $1,800 OBO

These two seem to be in my price range and looked like pretty good bikes. Any recommendations?

2. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Try to find a CBR 600 F2 (91-93 model years). It's a better bike than the two you listed. But of the two you listed, I would pick the ZX7... It looks better than the 600.

3. Redsky

Redsky Beat the one you love.

Definately a good idea to get an older bike, but I'm sure those 600's are nearly as potent as newer 600s with twitchy throttle and all. Personally, I'd get a Ninja 500 (vertical twin 500cc's) which is more than enough power and handling to keep you satisfied.