Looking at getting a '99 Grand Cherokee Limited...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dontblink182, Oct 8, 2009.

1. dontblink182

dontblink182 New Member

I already looked in most of the jeep threads here, but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I've found a few '99 jeep grand cherokee limiteds but I had a 2000 grand cherokee previously and had major problems with it, finally dying at 131k with a cracked engine. it had the 6cyl but I was wondering if there's anything similar I should know about the grand cherokee limiteds, 1999-2000? also if higher mileage around 150k is alright with the v8s, thanks!

for reference, lookin at these two:
    http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/1362752114.html
    http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/1361486181.html

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Postings are expired.

I prefer the 6 to the 8, tends to be more durable.

Transmissions suck.

3. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

V8 transmission is the same as in 3500 Dually Hemi Dodge trucks. Almost as tough as it comes. My 4.7 V8 has almost 160,000 miles and never a problem. The 4.0 in the WJ is not like the 4.0 in the ZJ/XJ/TJ of 98 and older. The newer 4.0 cracks heads and breaks piston skirts. Do a google search of on any Jeep forum to see why you want the V8. Very few problems with the V8 WJ.

4. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

You're joking about tranny strength right? Chrysler hasn't gotten a tranny right since the 727TF.

The 4.0 is the same. The same years have the same head problems and there was/is a TSB for it, if its been fixed its a non-issue.

5. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

No I am not joking. I own one. 4 others in my family. Probably a couple thousand on the various Jeep forums I regularly read. I have seen maybe 1 failure. You are thinking of the 44RE or 46RE. These are the transmissions that use bands. The 545RFE uses clutch packs and is essentially a mercedes design. Very very stout. Stay away from 4.0 WJ for the reasons I said. There is a TSB but that is not a recall. It just tells you how to fix it. Just get the V8 and save the chance of the 4.0 problems. Now if you buy an XJ that 4.0 will go for a longgg time.

6. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

No real reason to get the 6 when it has less power and the same gas mileage. Not to mention my friends Grand Cherokee was a very nice highway cruiser. Low RPMS was great on the highway and hauled ass.

7. Fast_40

Fast_40 New Member

No they don't have the same tranny the WJ's with the 8 cyl have the 45RFE, the diesels need something way stronger then one of that tranny,
    the 4.7 and 5.7 dodge 1500's use the 45RFE.
    sorry chryslers trannys suck balls, I own one, i would know.
    true.

the 45RFE is no doubt a good tranny, but not that strong, my aunt's went bad at 80k, she kept up with maintience. Chrysler has never had very great transmissions, torque converters always go bad in their tranny's.

The 46re wasn't too bad, I have the 46rh in my tranny which is hydrallic (sp, it's late). The 46re came with the 98 GC ZJ's with the 5.9,it was made pretty decent.

8. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

No a 3500 dually gas truck has a 545RFE - not the diesel.

Nonetheless go V8 for the transmission and engine. The new 4.0 with head cracking and piston skirts breaking is not worth the purchase.

9. Fast_40

Fast_40 New Member

Either way, it's still not the EXACT same one, they are always making changes, and still the chrysler transmission suck, search under jeep/dodge transmission problem in google, or even chrysler transmission problems.
    they are notorious for having shitty tranny's regardless if it's gas or diesel transmissions.
    I'm not saying i would never buy their products, I own a jeep with a 46rh and 5.2 magnum motor, my step dad owns a dodge 1500 pickup, I love dodges, and plan on getting a dodge pickup, but the transmission's of chrysler products seem to be prone to more problems then most cars. My mom owned a 98 mitsubishi eclipse, which had the 420a motor (chrysler motor and tranny) and it gave her problems a lot and she kept up with fluid changes.
    If you get one, just make sure to change the fluid every 30k~ and check it every week or two.
    Currently my jeep's tranny is going bad, it will not shift into OD, going to take it to a local shop sometime this week.

10. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

does just the 5.9 have the 3500 transmission or do both the 5.2 and 5.9 have it?

11. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

No its the EXACT same one.

The 45RFE also known as the 545RFE is a german designed transmission. It uses no bands and ONLY CLUTCHES. Every chrysler transmission you've had use bands.

This brings us back to "GET A V8 WJ."