Looking at buying a used Gs 300?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by imsobored, Jun 15, 2007.

1. imsobored

imsobored New Member

1998 - 2002 or so. They seem pretty cheap from 13xxx to about 22xxx. Are they worth it? Looking for a daily driver to put some miles on and be comfy.

2. Caanon

Caanon OT Supporter

I don't know much about the GS specifically, just the 92 to 00 SCs but they have the same drivetrains...I'd ask why not a 400? The engines(SC and GS) are the same in both cars and the common consensus in SCs is that the 2 engines get almost the exact same mileage, while the V8s have more power and especially low end torque, but the 300s are better if you plan on modding them(supra parts etc) So if you're keeping it stock = 400, if your not a 300 with manual transmission (for SCs anyway)

For reference
    400 = 4.0 liter aluminium V8 1UZFE
    300 = 3.0 liter Iron block Inline 6 2JZGE

Try looking around this forum:
    http://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  3. conceptvip

conceptvip New Member

I'm a tech for Lexus and drive a 99'gs400 as my DD and love the car. The 300 is just as good of a car and never really had a drive train problem. The only corks for the gs series would be the lower ball joints and the front strut tops tend to make noise after 70k. Off the top of my head thats all I can really think off but if you plan on buying a 01 or older stay away from the navigation because its not upgradeable any more. Make sure if the car has over 90k that it has had it 90k service done along with spark plugs and water pump, That will take a huge chunk of money out of your pocket if your stuck doing and you have to because of interference motor.

4. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

They're good cars, but out here (So. Cal) they are really hard to find for a good price. I was looking for one. Goodluck!