Looking at buying a 66 Mustang...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DrK_Mrk_iV, May 8, 2007.

1. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Buying a 66 Mustang. What are some things I should look for/at? What questions should I ask? I know the basics like look for rust, ask for reciepts, ect. ect. What else should I look for? It's a 289 with an auto. I plan on doing some things to it as well... What is the most power can I get out of the 289 anyway? I'll probably end up going with a 302 in the future with a new trans, but for the time being...

2. pdb574

pdb574 New Member

make sure it's an original v8 (make sure it has 5 lugs) oh and the rust issue as you stated. Crawl under it. Quarters, Floors, Frame rail under battery box, Cowl area, etc.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

My buddy's 65ish Ranchero with a 289 runs low 12s in the quarter in Vegas consistantly. He's got an aftermarket carb, intake, cleaner assembly. Upgraded ignition and roller rockers. The internals are forged, nothing too radical.

4. cudakid69

cudakid69 New Member

I would check all the common spots (rear quarters, floors, frame under the battery, bottom of the doors, etc.), be sure to check the corners in the trunk as well (not necessarily because its a mustang, but a lot of cars have problens there). As far as the power you can get out of a 289, it depends on how good you are with building motors. I've seen 10 second hot rods with 289's a few times, but most people that build an engine without being a professional or having professional assistance can get 12's out of a car if they do things carefully and correctly.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

depending on what you want to do u can get mid 14s with some easy bolt ons or sink into low 13s and 12s with some more extensive mods like heads and cam etc

PS gears will make a big diff, if you want a fast quarter u can get some really short gears but that will rape your gas mileage

6. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Right. I owned an 04 Stang... Did some regular bolt ons and had some nitrous on it...

Found out the engine was bored out .60... I am assuming everyone uses forged internals. I'll have to ask. He also has a "bigger" cam in there. I'm sure it isn't too aggressive because the stock carb is still being used.

I would throw some taller gears and definitely throw some better heads and full exhaust... tempted on throwing a conservative shot of nitrous on there as well... How do the 289's handle that? Also, what are some things to lighten up the car? I know aluminum heads drop a good 40 pounds or so off the front end.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

theres not a lot to remove weight wise, the interior pulls super easy though, you can get all the seats out in like 10 minutes. although stock mustang seats dont even weigh that much, pretty simple construction

you could get lighter aftermarket wheels :dunno:

from what ive seen if you want to drop real weight after that kinda shit you'll need expensive modifications like carbon fiber body panels and then you could get an aluminum block, thats only a few grand :mamoru:

a 289 will handle nitrous easily assuming you have strong internals (forged)

people throw nitrous on tiny import engines, a 289 should be able to take 100-150 shot of nos if everything is set up to take the hit (you could probably squeeze more)

i have a 66, i thought about nos but theres a lot of risk in it, im going to run the stock engine N/A until I get a good chunk of money to throw at an entire new engine which i will most likely supercharge

8. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Alright. So I went ahead and did it. I've been researching the hell out of this car but still can't find too many specific answers... Perhaps OT can help. This is taken from my post from another forum:

I bought a 66 Mustang the other weekend. 289 with a 3spd. C code car. Very little rust, new paint, ect. ect. The 289 was rebuilt about 8k miles ago. I'm assuming a near stock rebuild. The car had a 4spd... I don't know what happened to it. Anyway, here are some problems with the car that I would like to address:

The steering is pretty bad. The car wanders on the road. I don't have the cash for a Power steering kit. Any REALLY good manual steering upgrade/kits available? Open tracker has some decent products. Any others out there?

Finding gears in the transmission aren't hard but they aren't easy. Does anyone sell a good bushing kit for it? Can anything else be done to the transmission to make it shift better? I'll probably be ditching this and going with a 4spd but for the time being...

What are the best sparkplugs for this car? I plan on getting something like a 570cfm carb, intake manifold and some decent headers. I don't know if these affect the gapping or type of plug... I also plan on upgrading the ignition wires as well.

Any good cam that use stock heads? I would love to upgrade the stock heads, but again, don't have the money. Not really worth it because I have no idea what has been done to the bottom end of the motor, and this motor is a strong good motor. Doesn't burn, consume or leak any oil. I don't want to open her up to that extent. I, of course want a good sounding cam that'll give me some power.

I plan on getting a tach, because I do plan on getting on the engine, but don't know what a good redline for this car is. Any comments on this?

Are aftermarket sways helpful for this car? The car doesn't handle the way I want it to. I plan on upgrading just about every suspension part on the thing... KYB shocks I hear are a good start, then 1 inch lowering springs, ect. ect. Again, the opentracker company has some decent stuff out.

And last but not least... The brake disc conversion question. What is the easiest most complete kit to install? The granada conversion requires some lines to be converted... I would rather just replace the entire system. Any suggestions?

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the stock heads dont flow very well at all, maybe see if you can get those ported and polished

that should be a good carb but remember u can also go bigger, i run a 670cfm street avenger on mine, with vacuum secondaries it helps prevent it from bogging it down and i get enough fuel at the top end to keep it from starving and i have some buffer zone for future mods.

as far as redline goes that depends on cam and other things, stock cam/internals maybe 6500ish-7k?

on an aggressive racing cam 289s can hit like 8k easily :big grin:

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/SteveWmaxpistonspeed.html

as far as suspension it depends on how hardcore you want to go, if you can wait you could always save and order an IFS system from Total Control.

but for basic suspension upgrades, do ur shocks/springs and get a bushing kit from like PST or something.

brake coversion kits look at SSBC and Bauer

if u want to save some money on headers look at MAC

oh and about my nitrous comment in the earlier post, if ur internals are set up for nitrous i could see a 300 shot going in :dunno:

10. August Burns

August Burns New Member

dont ruin it

unless you plan to go all out like that camaro on the other page, i wouldnt bother. go pick up a foxbody or 94-95 GT, parts are cheaper and will likely be faster.

11. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

personally i would just restore the car due to you could sale it for good value afterwards.. if not and your going to tinker with it.. hit up corral.net

if you dont want to spend a shit ton of cash.. look up user TMOSS.. he does port work on his own time and does a damn good job of it... many "stock" 5.0 are now sitting in low 12s from his upper/lower manifold + head porting.. charges i believe less then 1k to do all

12. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

flaming river makes a replacement steering box. I dunno what they usually run but theirs is 550ish.

13. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Who bought the car? Not you. I did. So instead of offering your enlightening opinion, why don't you ever so kindly just provide an answer or two to the many questions I have?

14. August Burns

August Burns New Member

I have a 66 vert sitting in my garage right now.

I still say restore it, but since you dont want to, I would plan out everything before I got into it. thats my advice.
    Is it a coupe or fastback?