Looking at Audi S4 (B5)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MrBucket, Jan 3, 2005.

1. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

So my parents are looking at getting me a used Audi. The price range is under 20k, the cheaper the better. It must be an Audi (or some other 4wd german car).

I was looking at autotrader and I noticed a dealership near me (riverside audi) had a 2000 S4 for $14,900. Seems like an amazing price to me. It has 94k miles, which is the only thing that has me a little worried, but putting on nearly 100k in 4 years means its probably highway miles for the most part. It has every option except the navigation system which i wouldnt need anyway. Its black with black leather and a 6 speed.

I know some people on genmay have s4 and ive already talked to someone with a modified s4 about it, so if anyone else has advice or stuff to look for on this car when I go take a look at it tomorrow, please post it.

2. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

Not advisable. Go for a 2001.5 or 2002 model. All models prior had serious turbo issues, and that's a VERY expensive fix. A MY2000 S4 will be in the shop more often than it's on the street, I can almost guarantee you.

My advice is to go for a 2001.5 2.8 Quattro with a standard. Find one with low miles and remaining warranty and you'll probably spend maybe 1-2k more than that S4. An S4 priced that low is prone to have problems.

3. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

guess i wont be getting a s4, the dealership that had that car sold it a week ago and hadnt updated anything and was very disorganized

4. ugogirl

ugogirl Guest

hey man i just got the s4. and its tight. oh yeah b5. fuck that dealership. there are other ones. for 20k you can get a nice 2000 year model w/ 60k mileage or less. If the turbo's blow thats just a chance u gotta take. I paid 25k for one w/ 33k mileage. and 1yr + 2 ext year certified warranty. NOGARO Bleu , w/ sports package and alacantara interior. S4 rules. the car is a beaut in person. pics never do it justice. plus its nice burning all the poser kids in their A4 "ultrasports"(sarcasm).

5. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

i dont think there are any s4 around here for that price

6. ugogirl

ugogirl Guest

from my experience, if you are craving an S4? non of the other cars are gonna cut it for you. I think you should look around a lil bit more I know they exist for under 20k.

Once you sit in one of those babies, you will feel the luxury kick in. Just lean back in your nice smooth Tough leather that VW uses, the nice german quietness of the interior. Tight heavy feeling steering wheel and parts.

You roll out of your garage... slowly and let the smooth throaty drone of the exhaust hit your ears...

as the sunlight breaches the tip of your front window YOu start rolling, Hearing the electronics adjust and the motor work itself into gear.:cool:

You slowly rev the engine and hear the V6 2.7t come to a rumble. THen you DROP IT INTO 2nd GEAR AND LAY DOWN THE HAMMER!!!. :noes:

BOOM! THe low end torque hits you immediately and your head falls back into the headrest and u take off. Gradually you hear something..... what what?!?!... what is that hear... but...

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrr (high pitched) ..... Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrr ..... :bowdown: OH YEah BABY!!! its the Turbos Spooling up. TWIN TURBO BABY!!! BAM, U fly to 6mph in 5 seconds. As u slowly pass the 325i's and A4's and other BABY euros they look away in shame.:hsugh:

one armenian guy peaks his head out the window,:eek3: and thinks to himself... wha wha?? was that an M3, wha M3 e36? wha or no no,,, its audi... oooooh CRAP S4!!! BABY!!! I SAW AN S4!!!:bowdown: :bowdown: They only imported 10k of those cars to the USA!!

and u leave him in Aww as u fly by him. :Owned:

I almost bought a nogaro blue fully loaded with mods Alacantara Sports package, Neuspeed G2 exhaust, eibach springs, xeonon euro lights w/ clear corners, tint, Everything for $21k for one w/ 54k mileage. Now that was a good deal. 2001.5

I think if you just wait a lil longer and check auto trader everyday and forums like
    www.audizine.com and www.audiworld.com you will find one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

B5 S4 is nice, but I'm definitely glad I went for a BMW instead.

330Ci ZHP isn't too far behind the S4 in performance, but neither are exactly rocketships ;)

I'll either move into an E46 M3 in the next year or so, or if I have the patience to wait out the E90 M3, I will...

My first car was an Audi 80, and I loved it to death... But I don't think the B6 S4 is worth what they're asking for it, especially compared to the M3. (Disclaimer: prices may be different where I live)

8. JMG

JMG Guest

A simple chip and the S4 is in the 300 hp range.

9. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Sell you rents into a AWD jap car like EVO or WRX. It's much cheaper to fix and better for a younger driver on a buget. I have a EVO and they are reliable as long as you don't do stupied mods.

IMHO
    S4s have nothing but problems

10. Merli

....or even more!

But that still isn't very fast now is it? ;)

There's no denying the tuneability of turbocharged engines... Ask me what my weekend car is ;) But I was comparing stock for stock. I didn't buy a naturally aspirated entry level luxury car for it's power. I bought it for it's ride quality, the ability to wrap my ass in heated Nappa leather hide, beautiful interior styling, television, GPS nav, intergrated Bluetooth, etc, etc.

I actually looked for a B5 S4 before buying the 330Ci, but there are very very few in Australia, and the second hand market consists of around 12 (that's not a typo) examples Australia-wide, with all showing more than 80,000kms :(

11. Merli

IMHO
    All EVO drivers are ricers!

.......... since we're throwing around ridiculous generalisations ;) :o

12. ugogirl

ugogirl Guest

13. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

The reason I want the S4 is becuase my parents have a A6 2.7T with the 6 speed and thats nearly the same as the s4, just a tad slower and not as good handling, so its not like i dont know what its like.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

volvo > audi.

15. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

i laugh:mamoru:

16. ugogirl

ugogirl Guest

Bucket u better get the S4 or i'll be pissed. Seriously the S4 is in M3 class In my opinion. And no its not the same as ur parents A6. the whole feel of the car is much different. It is much more nimble and u can zip around in it easier. And also its fast fun and fruity, and totally for younger generation.

17. m5am

m5am New Member

Not saying I dont like S4s, but... saying its a fruity car isnt gonna help him decide much.

18. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

:hsugh:

19. ugogirl

ugogirl Guest

:hsugh:

20. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

nah i dont think i can find a s4 in my price range

my parents were thinking of getting themselves a 2.7t 6 speed allroad and giving me the a6

21. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

your intitled to your opion. opions are like ass holes everyones got them:mamoru:

22. trickdaddie

trickdaddie Official Transmogrification Technician

are you on Audiworld?

23. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

A 2001+ B5 S4 at under 20k is sketchy. You should honestly go for an '02 1.8T with cash for mods.

24. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

25. freeskiwp

freeskiwp New Member

buy a nice used a4 1.8t and upgrade the turbo. YOu can get decent numbers with a ko4 upgrade and a few other things. You will def save some cash too. just a thought..you cant go wrong with an audi..i love my audi more and more everyday.