Looking at a WRX

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Necromancer, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Selling the BMW 328i.

Anything I should know about Subarus? No STi.

2. Virality

Virality New Member

The glass box. Though, I've never owned one, so I don't have any personal experience with it.

3. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

super fun car. the damn thing can do anything.

I have to sell mine though :crying:

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Breaks easily? Bad car crashing rating?

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

How's it hold up?

6. Virality

Virality New Member

The transmission. Are you looking at buying a brand new one? they may have fixed the issue for the new ones, but I don't know for sure. You might want to check around on NASIOC and see what they think though.

7. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Fuck, I need to get away from cars with shitty trannys.

And no, not new. Probably around 50k miles.

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Do Subarus have transmission problems? When the WRX was first released many people unaccustomed to AWD vehicles became owners. Since it was a quick car, naturally many of these owners spent some time at the drag strip. Transmission problems obviously occurred. The cause of these transmission problems can be mainly attributed to many drivers' inexperience with AWD vehicles.

Have these problems changed? Transmission problems appear to have turned the corner. Mid 2002 saw an important physical change in the Subaru transmission in the form of a dump valve with does not allow the end user to perform a true clutch dump launch. While this doesn't protect against sustained abuse, it will protect the ignorant from occasional folly. Also, word started spreading that acceleration and shifting techniques should be modified to transfer the power properly. Buying a new clutch is far cheaper than a new transmission.

9. ecofire

ecofire Member

The WRX is an awesome car. It has great crash test ratings and you will rarely have trouble with it. The transmission isn't the best though, but as long as you're not slamming through the gears or dropping the clutch it is fine. My family has had 4 subarus, one an STi, and none of them had a single problem. I landed my 1998 impreza wagon on the roof and crawled before the ambulance was called with just a scraped up arm.

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Can you get roof racks for mountain bikes on them? :x:

Should I get one with low miles or save some and get a higher milage? I don't want to replace the whole cooling system like on high milage BMW's.

EDIT: Turn off- WRX are the third most expensive car to insure (the evo being number 1)

Honda, here I come.
    Or Toyota.
    Or Nissian.
    Fuck.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2006
  11. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

get a new legacy then. still has considerable power and they're a bit longer so a wagon with a roof rack would be better accommodating to a mountain bike than a wrx.

12. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

The newer ('03+) gearboxes are better. You don't have to worry about them breaking for no apparent reason. Just don't beat the shit out of it and it'll last forever.

Overall it's a good, fun car. If you're inclined to do so, a few upgrades thrown at it really make the car a blast.

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Hmm didn't think of that option.

So they don't make any roof racks for the WRX?

There's only a handful under 15k within 300 miles of my zip code (says autotrader of course) The interior looks alot nicer then I though, this might do it. How is reliability?

EDIT: Can anyone confirm that the WRX is the nations third most expensive car to insure?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2006
  14. sub9lulu

sub9lulu LSx RX-7 in progress krew

the tranny is ok on them, dont worry
    subaru > bimmer

15. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Why? Handling? Power? Both?

BMW>Subaru in the :cool:department

If the insurance isn't too bad then looks like a WRX is next on my list. I found rear bike racks that go on the WRX, so that isn't an issue anymore.

16. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Tranny won't break if you don't abuse it. I have a 2000 2.5RS with a turbo kit on it, and my tranny is doing fine. Don't clutch dump or shift too hard, and it's fine. And, yes, there are roof racks available for the WRX, no worries there.

17. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

In a FWD or RWD car, if you dump the clutch, the power loss has to go somewhere, normally the burning tires creating smoke is the by product. In this case od AWD, there isn't enough energy to spin the tires so the energy has to go somewhere, usually the transmission.

So how are they on reliability? This will be my DD. How do they hold up after 100k miles? I know they are jap, but I need something that will last me 2-4 years while being a somewhat tight budget. How's the interior? I'm going from a BMW sedan that has the sports and premium package so the interior is damn nice.

18. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Exactly why you don't want to dump the clutch in a WRX, there isn't enough power to overcome the traction, so instead of the tires breaking loose, the stress goes to the transmission, which can damage it.

As for reliability, they hold up just fine as a daily driver. My 2000 RS only has 60k miles on it, but I did 3 seasons of rally-cross with it, and the only damage it took was a rear wheel bearing. There are many RS's and WRX's with over 100k running around with no problems. The interior is nice, but I'm sure it's not up to BMW standards, but it's still pretty nice, I think. Overall, a Subaru makes a great, fun daily driver.