GUN Looking at a Remington 700. Have a few questions.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by twist_of_fate, Apr 14, 2004.

1. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

In a previous thread I mentioned that I may be moving to SoCal. If that happens then my plans to get an AR are going to change. I'd be going with a Remington 700. A buddy of mine has one that's all tricked out. I love the gun, but don't know much about some of the terms used in the ads at Guns America. What is a Bull barrel and a Fluted barrel? Would I want a longer barrel or a shorter? Hell, I have too many questions. Can someone just give me a breakdown of everything that I should look for?

Thanks.

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Is it for hunting or just fucking around.

3. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

The second of the two. I'm not a hunter.

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

5. chiadog

chiadog Guest

Bull barrel: thick heavy barrel.
    fluted barrel: the cuts u see runnin down the outside of the barrel to reduce weight. flutes DO NOT increase stiffness. it has more stiffness compared to the barrel of the same weight, because it will have bigger diameter. the cooling effect is negligible.

if u are not going to take it beyond 3-400 yards. may as well get a 20. shorter barrel doesn't mean much in term of accuracy. but u may lose a few fps compared to the long barrel and have more muzzle flash.

since u want a bench gun, get a bull barrel. 20 or 26 depend on if u want to lug that bish around. definitely get the BDL hinged floor plate model instead of ADL. not much else. if u want to shoot the heavier grain bullets. u are SOL in 700. get a savage, they have faster twists :bigthumb: no bipod please, u are better off with bags. don't go cheap on the scope, mounts and rings.

6. footratfunkface

168 gr. A-max is the way to go anyways, so don't worry about heavier bullets. you've already said that you're not hunting, and for target or defense, that round is the best. it starts yawing immediately upon entry into flesh, and makes a wound that looks like a blender penetrated for 13".

7. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Get the Remington 700P "Police model" They actually have several models with varying barrel lengths. They have a "Package" deal also that combines a 20" or 16" barreled 700P with scope rings, a Leupold 4-10X scope, Harris Bipod, and Pelican case. I think the package price is around $1200.00

8. chiadog

chiadog Guest

i ASSumed he wants a .223rem since he wanted an AR. 77grain gold match won't do too good in the 1/12 twist remmy tubes.

9. ryanbum

Go .308. .223 is no comparison, just cheaper to shoot.

10. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

.308 is actually what I was considering.

11. footratfunkface

you can get a 700 PSS for about $700-750, and top it with whatever mount, rings, and optic you want. my best friend has a 20" PSS with badger mount and badger MAX-50 rings. that's big bucks, but you can get less "heavy duty" rings from badger for cheaper. he uses a leupold VX-III fixed 10x scope, which was $600.

12. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I absolutely love my Rem. 700, mine is in .270 and hae a Leupold Vari XII 3x9x40 scope, and one helluva trigger job. It's really accurate.

13. chiadog

chiadog Guest

my poison of choice is .223 45grain bullets -_- lots of yotes out here... no bag limit.....
    cheap ass walmart winchester 40 pack, 45 grain ammo shoots <.75 moa, good enough.

and no more PSS, it is just 700P now -_-

ryan
    308 is fine and all, but i subscribe to the fackler theories (read the articles) -_- of course they are talkin about military ball, which is what i feed my ARs. for self defense range, the puny 223 is hard to beat, and less likely to overpenetrate -_- not to mention all the disadvantages of a shorter barreled 308 -_- flash, sound, recoil, less wieldy. though i won't deny 308 is more powerful and accurate. thats why snipers use it.

2 articles on the opposite side:
    http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/military_bullet_wound_patterns.html
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1986/MVT.htm
    enjoy -_- sure they are 15-20 years old, but i shoot surplus ammo. not the modern wonderbullets.

14. Platinum_Thunder

pffft

Who needs a 308 when you can get a 7mm ultra mag :o

15. Platinum_Thunder

who the fuck uses a bolt action rifle for self defense :rofl: :slap:

16. chiadog

chiadog Guest

why take more abuse than u have to :dunno:

17. chiadog

chiadog Guest

:slap:

18. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Fixed-10x? Why lord, why? :ugh:

19. Platinum_Thunder

I don't even read his stupid comments anymore.

20. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Bolt Action still isn't a good choice for self defense. :ugh: It's more of a last resort weapon.

21. ryanbum

.223 is great no doubt. But imagine his situation. He buys a nice 700 and becomes profecient at 100-200 yard range what then? One of the stupidest things i've done with my guns is sell my Steyr PIIK .308 with double set triggers because I didn't want to drop an additional $1200 on rings and optics. God I wish I had that gun back because I would have a rifle that could reach out to 400m and beyond and a .223 just can't do that. On top of that you can't take out the bigger game that is out there like bull moose, elk, etc. Ok with a head shot, sure but with any distance between you and the game that will be a big challenge.

If you are just fucking around or hunting small game .223 is awesome. Buy it. But if you want more potential, go bigger. Hell get a 7 mag.

22. Platinum_Thunder

:repost:

23. ryanbum

Fuck it then, get a Barrett M82A1. Don't fuck with the mighty .50BMG. Gets kinda pricey though :rl:

24. Platinum_Thunder

yeah :hs:

25. chiadog

chiadog Guest

i didn't suggest to get a sissy .223. it works for my purpose :bigthumb:
    not arguing power or whatnot. .223 is "good enough" at closer ranges :p it IS a intermediate cartridge -_- and most states won't let u hunt bigger games with a sissy 223. i donno, when he gets proficient, add another gun to the collection :bigthumb: 1 gun for every purpose :o

:bigthumb: << click