GUN Looking at a Glock 19 or Sig 226 as my first semiauto

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Imyourzero, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

So the GF and I just finished our gun safety class and I want something that I can take to the range that won't make my wallet too light if I want to do a lot of practicing.

After looking on various forums and websites I've narrowed it down to the Glock and the Sig, though I'm not 100% set on one of those. They just seem to have a very large owner base with a reputation for being very solid 9mm pistols. I do want to start with a 9mm. I realize that a .22 is much cheaper to shoot but when I get my CCW it's possible that I'll get something like a .45 for the range and relegate the 9mm to self-defense duty, in which case it'll have more stopping power than a .22. Or I might get a compact .45 to carry and keep the 9mm for the range...I just don't know yet.

GF's dad has a S&W M&P 9mm that I put a few mags through last Saturday, and I liked it pretty well. Yesterday I used his H&K USP .40 to finish the class and it was a very nice gun, although everything I've read makes me think that although H&K makes a great product, you can get the same quality in a pistol for less money. I've heard mixed things about Berettas and (mostly) good things about the XDs.

Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

S&W, H&K, SA, Glock, Sig, Walther, Steyr, Beretta, and others I'm forgetting to name all make equally high quality pistols. Any difference is going to be the subjective feeling of how it shoots and its controls to you. Some people hate the trigger of the sig, some people hate the grip angle of the glock.

3. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Glock 19 and a shitload of 15rd mags.

4. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

I just got back from my uncle's house, and he has the 17. It felt nice, and I didn't seem to have any problems with the grip angle that some people don't like.

A co-worker has a G26 for sale for $400...he brought it the other day and I suppose it would be a great carry gun but the damn thing was so small that I didn't feel like I could wrap my hand around it without my pinky hanging off. There is a bit more length with the mag inserted but I think I'd prefer a compact to a sub-compact...and the longer barrel length will only help with accuracy.

I haven't handled the 19 yet, but would like to try to find one.

5. iMotionSRT-4

iMotionSRT-4 HO! HO! HO! BITCHES!!

I just got my 19 last week and put about 150+ rounds through it this weekend. I'm really happy with it and it was a blast to shoot.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

A 226 was my first semiauto. I currently carry the Glock, and am toying with the idea of going back to a SIG. (228, slightly smaller version of the 226, about G19 size).

The M&P is also worth considering, but I think they are larger than the G19, or smaller if you go to the compact M&P. All are reasonably priced (assuming you buy the SIGs used or certified preowned factory refurbs, great deal!). It sounds like you're on the right track. :bigthumb:

7. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

get the sig

8. Toke513

Toke513 New Member

You should really try them both. I am not a big fan of Glocks myself and I love how sigs shoot and feel. But that is just me. Good luck

9. MTech

MTech New Member

M&P or the Sig. I dig the 226 but it's rather thick. I'd prob go with the 229 if I went Sig.

10. carl icahn

carl icahn Guest

posted on anandtech too

11. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

:ugh:

Yeah MTech I actually prefer the way the 229 looks, but I thought the 226 might be a bit more accurate at the range. I suppose in the end it doesn't matter which gun I end up with...I'm going to need to practice regardless in order to become proficient with it.

I'd consider the M&P but the GFs dad already has one and I'd prefer to get something different. That leaves me open to Glock, Sig, SF XD, CZ, and a few others. No one around here rents guns...that's unfortunate.

12. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

Thanks. Have you looked at the Sig 239? It's also smaller than the 226, but I prefer the way the 229 looks. In the end that doesn't really matter though...I think the Glock is a rather plain-looking gun but I'd buy one in an instant if I found a good deal. :)

13. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

15. MTech

MTech New Member

I fired a 229 9mm and could hit anythin with it, my friend has the 226 in .357 sig and it jumps a good bit so grouping isn't such an easy task compare dto everythgin else we usually go shooting with. It's not harsh by anymeans, jumpy is beat way I can describe it popping up.
    Where's here?

Big price diff between all those guns. If you're lookin for a good used deal my guy out here is blowin out all kinda good stuff and most is 9's and 40's. He's probably got a real nice Demo P99 demo that's $489 comes with 3 12rd mags and the full warranty. I know he had a pile of HK's, some Sig's, and a few berettas. (That's in Pa - pittsburgh area)

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I don't really like the 239, the grip feels odd in my hand, and its a fairly large gun for a single stack.