A&P Looking at a Canon Digital Rebel XT, any good?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Furner, May 30, 2007.

1. Furner

Furner New Member

Ive been to best buy every day this week playing with the camera, I have done some price matching, and I have got the camera with 15-55 lens, 75-300 lens, flash, and the "canon gadget bag" that includes basically a battery and 58mm UV filter, for around $1000.
    I am also considering a Ultra III 2gb CF card for it.
    I have had a Minolta 35mm SLR for years, I am just getting sick of film photography for a majority of my every day and vacation photography. I got a bunch of rolls burned in a x-ray machine during the first inaguration of GWB, most DC security wont let you scan film in a lead bag. Thats just one example, but I am just not that into film anymore. Im not going to sell the gear, I have alot invested in B&W darkroom stuff to get rid of it, but I want to move to digital SLR.
    I have had a P&S digital camera for a while, but it is of course just a convenience camera, and I would like to have the serious gear available when I want it.

So basically, is the Canon Rebel XT a good camera to consider for the price range? I am buying at Best Buy because they have good financing.
    I played with the Nikon D40, but I think that the focusing is flawed. It takes forever to focus, and it seems that it ALWAYS pulls the image out of focus before it comes into focus. I have tried this camera at 5 different places and every time it just sucks. Most of the sales persons pointed this out as well.
    I also think that there are some great package deals out there for the Canon.

I looked at the Canon 30D, and while it is downright awesome, it is out of the price I am willing to pay.

2. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

if you want to buy new, Dell with coupons would be the best deal. I'd suggest buying just the body and the kit lens. Most of the bundle deals add in a lot of useless stuff or worthless gear. If you're willing to buy used, fredmiranda.com is a good place to look. you can find 350D selling for $380-440 used for just the body and $30-50 for the kit lens.

3. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

run far away from best buy.

the III cf card is worthless too, since the highest speed the xt can handle is a II cf card.

i suggest you do a lot more price research on the internet and also look at lenses carefully. also, the 75-300 lens is junk.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/457233-REG/Canon_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/415470-REG/Canon_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT.html

just be aware that if you buy anything from circuit city or best buy, you are getting thoroughly raped.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  4. Furner

Furner New Member

The kit that I would be getting is 100% stuff that I want/need. I need a lens in the 300mm range, I NEED an external flash, I need an extra battery, i need a bag for all the stuff, and I need a filter (I usually carry 2 or 3 extras in case i get a dirty one, I can just replace it). I have heard maybe one or two complaints about the kit lens not being professional enough, but the positives about the lens that is included outweights the few complaints.
    Mostly, I am interested in buying new. I need financing because I have a job, and I would like the camera for my vacation in July, but I wont be able to save up all the money I need for a few months yet. I just started working again so I need some time to save up the extra money after bills.

5. Furner

Furner New Member

Thanks, Ill stick with the CFII card then.

whats the gripe with best buy? as far as price goes, i am matching a local independent shop that i think has really nice prices for a brick and mortar establishment.
    as far as service, i know what i want and need, i dont really need to give them any chances to misguide me.

6. IHAVECRABS

edited

i would consider the XTi too if you dont mind paying more. read up on the extra features it has. i personally think the larger lcd screen over the XT is reason enough for the extra price.

example: I got my XTi w/ 18-55mm lens for $670 from dell.com with their 25% off coupon. and then i got my sandisk 2gb ultra II cf card from circuitcity.com for $35, and then a free camera bag with the coupon i got after ordering the cf card online. good deals are out there.

7. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

You might 'need' it but once you see some of the pictures you'll get from the cheap lenses, you'll thank us later for saving for quality gear.

8. Furner

Furner New Member

details on the 25% off coupon?
    also, whats the deal with the EF 75-300 lens not being any good?

9. IHAVECRABS

its expired now...it was a leaked coupon code i guess, and i got in on it before dell stopped it :bowdown:

check out www.slickdeals.net and see if theres anything there

awesome resource:

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-75-300mm-f-4-5.6-III-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Zoom-Lens-Reviews.aspx

edit: http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?sduid=0&f=9

10. Furner

Furner New Member

bah, back to the drawing board i guess.
    are the XT and XTi bodies good choices? Dell seems to have decent prices, i might consider them. wish they gave a student discount on cameras.

do you feel that the 18-55mm lens that is included with these cameras is a decent product?
    i might still go with the 75-300 lens because of the price. might dump it after my vacation and work on finding something better on a longer timetable.

11. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Both the 18-55 and 75-300 are absolute rubbish. :dunno:

12. IHAVECRABS

www.bhphotovideo.com has much better prices than dell, not to mention better selection and service/shipping.

the xt and xti are both fine, the lenses are where it really matters and where you should spend your money.

13. bntboz

bntboz ACME user text OT Supporter

14. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:werd: I wouldnt pay $1000 for that package especially from best buy...price is cheap for the 75-300 but you get what you pay for

15. Furner

Furner New Member

Im now looking at a Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens.
    Reviews are decent, and bh photo has it for ~$400.
    I didnt really want the IS feature (well i do, but it adds $$$), but I cant seem to find a comparable lens without IS.

I would probably also pick up a fixed length lens in 17mm or so as well.

16. djfromgr

djfromgr Red Wings Fan

17. Furner

Furner New Member

What are you feelings on Norman Camera? Will they work at all on prices or are they firm?

18. Furner

Furner New Member

im not that crazy about the fact that the reviewer i am reading had problems with the two copies of this lens that were received. i dont have the time to deal with bad quality control.
    They also say AF is "noisy and slow". Im looking for exactly NOT that.

19. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I just picked up an XT body off of ebay for $320. It came with a lowepro bag, 2GB CF (extreme III), and a battery. I bought a kit lens from an OT'er for $50, a charger + spare batt from hong kong for $11, and a battery grip for $60. Unless the store financing is a must, keep checking.. you can find deals on these cameras.

Everyone says the kit lens is junk.. but if you can't afford to drop $400+ on some decent glass, it will do just fine. I absolutely love my camera + kit lens.

20. djfromgr

djfromgr Red Wings Fan

I've had nothing but exceptional service with Norman. I've bought a few lenses there and several things for our studio. They've matched prices with B&H for us so from my experience they will work with you on prices. One thing to keep in mind is that I believe they will do free sensor cleanings if you bought your camera from them.

21. djfromgr

djfromgr Red Wings Fan

I'll comment on the 28-75 since that is the lens I own. I've never missed a shot due to slow autofocus. It depends on what your shooting but my wife and I do primarily infant to toddler portraiture. Even with fast moving toddlers we haven't had any problems with slow autofocus. As far as noise, It's never been a concern for us so I shouldn't really comment on that. I would suggest going to Norman to play with those lenses to see what you think.

22. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

Sounds like you are very interested in photog.
    Stay away from the "combo" deals.

Get the XT or XTI body from either Dell on a deal or from BHphoto.
    Then start buying a lens.

As DJ linked the Tamrons.
    I own the 17-50 and its great.

For a budget telephoto get either
    This Tamron with a 6 year warranty just as good as the Sigma and better build IMO
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423725-REG/Tamron_AF017C700_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_Di_LD.html

or

This Sigma with a 1 year Warranty and is the most popular budget telephoto zoom in the photog community
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391074-REG/Sigma_508101_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_APO_DG.html

both are great and have built in semi macro modes that come in handy.

IF you really cant afford the Tamrons... you would be best off just using the kit lens untill you can save up for a decent lens.