Looking at a bike no eBay...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by i64X, Aug 18, 2006.

1. i64X

i64X New Member

I have to admit I don't know very much about bikes. I know quite a bit about cars (fuel injected cars) and have done engine swaps, suspension work, basic ECU tuning, general bs, etc., but never really worked with carbs
    or anything bike related.

I'm looking at getting a starter bike for around $1000-$1500 and was looking at some of the older 70's Hondas. I really love the way they look, and from what I've been reading a lot of them are super reliable and easy to work on.

I came across one that's for sale locally... a CB750 Super Sport. It's like a normal CB750, just a little more tuned, a little sportier looking, and it has disc brakes front and rear instead of a rear drum. Here's the description:

The bike looks to be really clean, but I'm not sure about the valve adjustment stuff.

How much does it usually cost to get valves adjusted? I'm assuming the carb cleaning stuff isn't really that complicated, but again, I'm not sure.

The bike is currently going for $600 and ends in a few hours.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

2. noxxs

noxxs New Member

it does look really clean, and for a good price. as far as the valve adjustement, i have no idea how much that would cost, but with the work you've done on cars, i'm sure if you got the manual you might be able to do it yourself. as for the carbs cleaning, for your first time, go slow when you take it apart and take pictures as you go. and just clean everything and dont force things into small holes, other than that its pretty easy.

if you decide to pass, i'm selling my bike, a 94 yamaha seca II. its more of a starter sport bike.

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

you sure you don't want my '82 CB750F? :hs:

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

The older Honda CB's are Tappet Valves. So the actual adjustment is but a fealer gauge and a spanner away from done.

I cant remember off the top of my head what its going to take to actually get the valve cover off and get to the valves. That may take a little work.

5. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

I've got a 73 cb500... very similar motor. Valve adjustment is a snap, each valve has a little threaded plate over it you take off with a wrench. All you need are feeler gauges and a wrench and your set to go. Cleaning the carbs is a simple enough to do, syncing the carbs can be tricky but is doable (and cheap if you want a shop to do it for you)

Older bikes, just like cars will have their issues but I love my cb, they are great bikes, theirs a ton of aftermarket for them and parts are really easy to come by and usually very cheap.

6. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

cb's are great bikes and parts are plentiful. they only sold a bajillion of them in the 70's and 80's. i like that look a lot. i would say buy it

7. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

wow $600... im actually interested in these CB's now... it would be a nice change of pace from my supersport... i actually miss the comfort and lightness of the rebels they used for msf... very fun to ride around town in