Lookin to get my first bike this summer, where do I begin?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by StealthMode, Jan 19, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I don't have a brand preference, they all look nice to me, and they're all fast... What would be a good first bike? I've ridden a bike before, but never a crotch rocket, I'm still a n00b..
    I'm 20, do I need to get a special liscense or not?
    I live in MN, so it will be a summer bike only, I don't feel like ridin to school in -20 temps :hsugh:

Anyway, I just need some help from some bike guru's :x:

2. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

you will get people that say, don't go new, becuase you will drop it (which you will) and it would suck to drop a $8000 bike

I for one did go new for my first bike, dropped it the first day, got it out of the way ...

Before you go out to buy one, make sure you have a good head on your shoulders and surround yourself with smart riders ...

I learned best from my riding buddies, who were also very smart, and gear advocates, which I became, right away.

I say you should stick with <=750 as it will tend to be alittle more forgiving in sticky situations ...

3. StealthMode

One of my buddies has a 750 Ninja I believe, he's been riding for a few years, and he rides with a bunchg of his buddies who have bieks as well.

Isn't anything above 750 considered a super bike, or is that a little further up?

I was thinking of going used anyway, it's a little cheaper, and I wouldn't want to bust up a brand new bike.. I am a little picky about that sort of thing :big grin:
    Any brand recomendations, or doesn't that really matter, just get what appeals to me the most?

4. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

www.msf-usa.org
    First step, find a local school to take the MSF new rider course.

5. StealthMode

Yea, that would be a good idea... I don't want my first time out to be my last time... They start in April here in MN.

6. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

whats your budget?

7. StealthMode

I'd like to keep it below $3k
    I was thinking maybe a CBR600 F4 maybe? :dunno: Whats the diff bewteen the F2, F3, F4?

8. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

just differnet years, simular models ... i recommend honda, i'm a honda loyalist ... haven't done me wrong yet

9. Bret The Ripper

Bret The Ripper I

That would be a smart buy. Im pretty sure you will need a motorcycle endorsement on your lisence. (check with the dmv, or just some one you know in your state that rides). And definatly take the Motorcycle Safety Course. You can get info online or at local Community Colleges (at least you can here). Teh couse also gets you your endorsement.

But yeah, pretty much count on laying the bike down. Both my roomates bought brand new bikes, both bikes have been down 2 or more times.

10. StealthMode

How heavy is the 600 roughly?a

What year did they start making the F4i?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  11. JPGuinness

JPGuinness Guest

get something like an 01 GSX-R 750; or a Yamaha R6, if you have start out small. Don't listen to people who tell you that you MUST start off on a small (600cc) bike. I'd honestly say that out of all the people I know who own bikes, THEY ALL REGRET BUYING A 600 as their first bike. I'm included as one of those people. If you have the need for speed (or acceleration really), then a 600 won't do it for you. My buddy bought an 04 Hayabusa as his first bike and drove it home in the rain when he was stoned out of his mind. Now, that's a little off the deep end, but it just proves that not everyone starts small. He's owned the bike since last March and hasn't layed it down once. 600s also get no props from fellow bikers.

12. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

uhh i started on an r6.. almost killed myself, downgraded to an f4i... and have been more than content with it ever since... i havent even used more than 60% throttle on the streets

13. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

:mamoru:

you only know how to go in straght lines, don't ya ....

some people tend to forget, that sport bikes are built for this:
    [​IMG]

not this:
    [​IMG]

14. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

On a budget of $3000 I would say an F3 or a ZX6 would be a good choice. Either will
    be more than capable of keeping life interesting.

15. StealthMode

Well, I'm not getting one for "props". And it will be faster than my car which will indeed make life more interesting ;) I refuse to buy a new bike, I have been known to be a little clumsy and dropping an R6 would make me shit my pants... I can always sell the 600 next year and buy a new one if I feel I am ready. We'll have to see I guess.

How much of a power difference is there between a F4 and F4i?
    Also, what do the 600's usually top out at anyway? I think I heard 135ish :dunno:

16. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

600s top out way above that ... i've been 140 on mine, with room to go

if I remember correctly, the f4 is carbed, while the f4i is fuel injected ...

17. StealthMode

Thats what I heard, what kind of power difference is there?

18. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

don't know really ... doubt much power difference ... this biggest difference you wil have is the smoothness power delivery ... i.e. the FI will have smoother power deliverey through the RPM range ...

one thing with FI bikes now, is that initial throttle response, also keep a hair of throttle, because letting full off, then back on (in the high RPMS) can cause the bike to jerk and such, keeping a hair of throttle takes care of this ... its all about smoothness

I had an f4i, which I lowsided into a moutain down in TN, but before that it was a great bike, which I learned alot on!!

19. StealthMode

What year did they start making the F4i, and could I get one for around $3k?

20. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

Ironically, I got off my R6 today and was in my car a few minutes later. My
    car runs a high 12 in the 1/4 mile.....and I kept thinking.....god this is so
    damn slow. :)

Friend of mine has had an F4 and an F4i, he said the only real difference is
    the lack of the banana seat on the 4i and that the 4i is just a smoother
    running bike

They'll do 130 in the 1/4 mile statistically speaking....I've heard the later
    model 600s will pull past 160. I'm in no hurry to confirm that number on my
    own bike though. I wouldn't be too concerned with top speed, if you're a bit
    of a noob like me you'll be busy enough at "regular" speeds anyway.

21. StealthMode

Yea, I know :p I just wanted to know.. I was gettin a lil :noes: in my old car at 130mph :mamoru:
    I don't mind the banana seat so much as some people, so that's no issue. If I can get myself an F4i for $3k, I think I might just do that. But, at the same time, I don't know much about some of the other brands. But I do feel most comfortable with Honda, for one reason or another.
    One of these days I am gonan run to the honda dealer and check out the bikes and site on them and see how they feel. Not going to buy one until this summer though.

22. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

f4i=2000+

No, you won't find and F4i in decent shape for 3k. I looked for a little while before I found and 99 F4 for 3k.

23. StealthMode

Oh ok, oh well. I'm not too picky. I don't mind carbs :p

24. 05gixxer

05gixxer New Member

gsxr is where its at

25. 05gixxer

05gixxer New Member

or the r6