Lookin to buy a camera

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mws0019, Dec 6, 2008.

1. mws0019

mws0019 New Member

Wife is pregnant, and we need a new camera to keep up with pictures. She is set on the look of something like the EOS Rebel XS from Canon, but I need to know if this is something more than we will need. I usually stick to name brands with electronics. Any suggestions?

I know nothing about cameras, and price is not an issue. We just need something to produce some good quality pictures to pass around.

2. wearki08

wearki08 New Member

You have to decide what you need it for. If you nothing about cameras, perhaps diving into the deep end with a DSLR may not be the right place to be although the EOS Rebel XS does have a good user rating. Alternatively you can look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50or other cameras in that range. There are other types of cameras in that category as well. They rival highly with the picture quality of most SLR and have the added advantage of a movie mode which you wont get with single lens reflex. The Mega Zoom ranges from Sony and Panasonic are a great place to start with that. One this you will lose out on however is the upgrading options like extra lenses and filters which the SLR will undoubtedly provide room for. Another thing that comes to mind is that you probably don't need the 10.1 mega pixels that the Cannon comes with. If its just for happy snaps, a simple point and shoot would be adequate. Try the Sony cybershot range or the Nikon has some high resolution options, up to 8 megapixel, just in case. The main thing that you'll get out of the 10MP from the cannon is the ability to print your photos to ridiculously huge sizes without loss of image quality. If you want top of the range, go for the Cannon, but if you don't want something surplus to requirement look at something like a point and shoot. Hope that helps.

3. mws0019

mws0019 New Member

Yea, I kinda figured the DSLR would be more than we need. My wife is going solely off looks of the camera. We need the camera to take pictures and send to friends mainly over the internet and then for her to scrapbook. We will not need many pictures bigger than the normal 4*6

4. mws0019

mws0019 New Member

5. Think47

Think47 New Member

thats a good camera for the price,its nice all around,i shot with canons before and used that camera,only thing the battery dies so freakin fast,get rechargeables or have spare batteries lying around.