Lookin at buying my first mac. Have questions. v.Imac Vs macbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by G Rant, Nov 21, 2007.

1. G Rant

G Rant Chillin'

I have used macs before and have decided that I want one. The main reason I want one right now is for photo and video editing. Orginally I decided that I wanted an imac, but after lookin around I'm starting to think a macbook would be fine. I don't have a real need for a laptop right now but it's nice to have the option to take it with me. I plan on spending around $1500.00. I know I want 2 gigs of ram but other than that I have no idea. Anyone have any pros or cons about imac v macbook as far as video or photo editing?

Do the white macbooks still have problems with staining? My older brother bought a black macbook because he said the white ones stained easily.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

if you're going to do video editing you'll want the extra screen space, bigger faster harddrive and the extra bump in processing power so I'd go with the iMac.

if you're not currently carrying a laptop around what reason do you have to start now?

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

as for the staining, they fixed that by upgrading the plastic. also, anyone who had a stained mac had the option to get it replaced

with a white macbook, you will get a little bit a staining though, but it is not permanent. it depends on how greasy and disgusting you are. i usually wipe my macbook with a mr. clean magic eraser every couple of months. takes 20 seconds to make it look like new

4. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Well I'm old fashioned and like big iron, so I've got a Mac Pro desktop. But if I were looking for a secondary computer for 0n-the-go, I think I'd choose the MacBook. I think an iMac is a good compromise if you intend to use your computer almost all the time at home or a MacBook Pro if you really need an all-in-one solution.

5. G Rant

G Rant Chillin'

I really have no need for a laptop. I have always had desktops in the past so I'm used to them.

But I figured for about the same price I might get one.