Looken to buy a new car this spring, need some suggestions in the Civic range.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by StealthMode, Mar 14, 2003.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I am gonna buy a new car this spring, currently driving a 1987 Nissan Maxima.
    I want something in the mid to late 90's, good gas milage, and easy to get more power out of, basically a Civic, but I kinda want to get something else. I was thinkin maybe an Integra, or something, but I dunno, what do you guys recomend?
    I may just stick with getten the Civic EX or Si (no HB, can't stand those), we'll see I guess.

Stealth -

P.S. No Supra, or anything like that, as bad as i want one, no dough ;)

2. King

King Guest

Skyline all the way.

3. StealthMode

I'm on a part time job kind of budget... That should clear it up better.

Stealth -

4. King

King Guest

What about a VTEC CRX

5. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

i'd get an integra over a civic anyday. the gsr is nice, lots of aftermarket support. but if it has to be a honda, get a prelude. at least not everyone and their sisters has one like a civic or integra. i'm sure you can find a 4th gen (92-96) prelude VTEC for a nice price. better yet, get the 5th gen (97-01). :bigthumb:

6. 90redgsx

90redgsx Guest

get a dsm

7. StealthMode

I really like the 92-96 Preludes, thinkin of getten one of those. Might not be a bad idea at all. I saw a black 92-96 Prelude the other day, it looked fiiiine, I thought it was a newer Accord when it first flew past me, then I passed it and realized I was wrong :o :big grin:

Stealth -

8. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

Well if you get a 4th gen make sure that you get the H22. VTEC motor. You will be MUCH happier!! If it does not say

DOHC
    VTEC

On the Valve cover you DON"T want it.

The Ludes get pretty good MPG's I average just under 30mpg's if and when i stay out out VTEC.

9. pearltsi

pearltsi New Member

i would have to agree, Good gas mileage and a lot more fun then a Teg or civic. you can be in the 12's 13's for a lot cheaper then a honduh.

10. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

Well i think that the DSm get there great gas milage is from sitting in the garage getting fixed?
    Seraouly they are fun cars but you need to work on them ALL THE TIME!!!
    My buddie had a 300whp DSM it was broke allthe time!!! He finally converted to the Honda side with a H22 civic. He and we are much happier now that the car does not break all the time.

11. StealthMode

I was looken to see if a turbo is available for the 92-96's, I found only one, (I forget the brand) and is it close to 4k.. So I am thinkin if I get one to just build it up without a turbo. Might be better, I dunno.. Got any idea's?
    Also, how much can I expect to pay for one? I am guessen not too much since a Civic is like 8k for a late 90's, 2000 or so.

Kenlude97 - Are you sayen the Preludes aren't very reliable or what?

Stealth -

12. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

WHAT!? The Prelude is VERY relaible. The only thing that i have HAD to buy my car in the 50,000 miles that i owned it is tires. But i think that has more to do with the way that i drive than anything.

-Steath Are you talking about Honda's 92-96? There are Turbo kits for them? Or the DSm?

13. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

stay loyal, get a maxima 5spd 95-99. (97+ for better crash safety lol)

Dominates the integra

14. StealthMode

-Steath Are you talking about Honda's 92-96? - Yes
    There are Turbo kits for them? - Dunno, thats what I want to know, I've only found one.
    WHAT!? The Prelude is VERY relaible. - Oops, must have misunderstood you :big grin:

stay loyal, get a maxima 5spd 95-99. (97+ for better crash safety lol) - I've been considering that too, I really like those cars, and they have nice power, 5 spd would be tight. My '97 has 210K, no major engine problems, O2 sensor went out, thats it.

Stealth -

P.S. Hmmm, I screwed up my user name! DoH!

15. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

There are 3 or 4 different kits for the h22 (prelude VTEC motor)
    i have put 50k on my Lude and still drives like the day i drove itoff the lott.
    You rarely see preludes on the street and less H22's. That was one of the reasons that i looked into Preludes. They look SWEET and SO much fun to drive! Lots of aftermarket.

16. StealthMode

I know, thats why I want one! I see civics everywhere now.
    You have the 92-96 right? Would it be better goin with a turbo charger (I am gonna get the VTEC) or build the motor up?

Stealth -

17. Brigante

jus a little FYI for you,

if you're going to turbo, i would strongly suggest the H23 NON-VTEC engine over the H22. with the right setup, it can respond much better to boost than the H22 vtec. for all-motor, definately, the H22 is your choice. but i would recommend you consider what your plans are in the near future. turbo = H23, all-motor = H22. grant it you'll spend more $$$ on an all-motor setup to match the times you can get off a turbo, but for some people, that's better. it's up to you. good luck!!!:bigthumb:

18. StealthMode

Sigh* I think I'll get the car first ;) I'd like to get the turbo more. They sound nice tight :big grin:

Why isn't it as good to turbo charge the VTEC? Is it just because you can get more power or more easily out of the H23?

Stealth -

19. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

There is no reason not too turbo the H22. The reason the H23 is "better" is that it has a lower static Compression ratio and can take "more boost".
    If either one of the motors do not have the correct supporting mods then you are goona blow a ring land on the motor. There are MANY more bolt on kits for the H22. I think that most of the stuff for the H23 you have to have fabbed up.
    If you are gonna by a car first then save for turbo get the VTEC (h22) motor. :) You will be much happier.

20. StealthMode

Thats what I was thinkin, cause I really want the VTEC. I don't really care that I can't crank out more boost with the H22. I don't need the fastest friggan Prelude out there, this will be my daily driver too, I want some reliability ;)

Stealth -

21. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

That is a wise choice. If you want a little go fast everyone and a wile. Get Nitrous. The h22 like N20 much more than "boost" it is cheap and easy to install.

22. StealthMode

Turbo and NOS? I thought that wasn't recomended, I know NX has something that bolts to the front of the Intercooler (I forget whats its called, but it isn't like a shot of NOS) that boosts 50hp or something like that, I'll have to go look it up again, but I think you know what I am talken about.

Stealth -

23. KENLUDE97

KENLUDE97 New Member

No Turbo just Nitrous.
    The product that you are thinking about is the In-tercooler or something like that. It is the oval tube that goes in front of the intercooler. That product just makes the Intercooler Cooler so that you have a denser air. There fore making more power. :big grin:

24. StealthMode

"The product that you are thinking about is the In-tercooler or something like that. It is the oval tube that goes in front of the intercooler. That product just makes the Intercooler Cooler so that you have a denser air. There fore making more power." - Thats what I thought.

AEM outfitted an RSX with a system that shot NOS when ever the engine hit around 5k or so, that would be pretty tight. But where in the hell do you fill your NOS tanks?

I still kinda want a turbo though :naughty:

Stealth -

25. Brigante

so will you be getting the prelude? like i said before, if it has to be honda, get the prelude. i would say nsx or s2000, but one is overpriced and the other is simply impractical. more expensive than any civic but it's that much better than a civic.