Look for good -budget- integrated amp.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mobbarley, Dec 12, 2006.

1. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Hi guys.

Currently have a NAD c350, looking for something which is a bit better, and with a bit more bass (the c350 is a bit soft in the low end).

It will be for a 2ch system connected to VAF DC-X floor standers. If you dont know these speakers then they are pretty efficient 2 ways.

price range ~< 700 US.

Dont need phono or A/B channels, or more than about 2-3 input. Would prefer a remote.

what would you recommend?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

... are you sure it's your amp? You're not driving a car audio subwoofer here that would require low ohm stability. You're driving a full range speaker, which the c350 should be fully capable of doing. I love my NAD c352.

I don't know those speakers, but if they are as efficient as you say then you'll notice that often times efficient speakers don't have a lot of low-end output. They excel in the mids and highs.

Anyway, why don't you try hooking them up to a more powerful amp and see if that gets what you're looking for. The c350 may simply not have enough amplification. If this is the case, I'd suggest buying a dedicated power amp and attach it to the pre-amp output of your NAD.

If having more power doesn't fix the problem, look into a subwoofer or different floorstanders.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Dont get me wrong, I love my nad :)

lots of reviews of the c350 found the same thing, great little amp, but soft on bass. Apparantly the c370 was a lot better for the low end.

Its easilly tweaked with the dial but I would like to upgrade it, was hoping for some tips on models that I might be able to go listen to or keep an eye out for second hand.

edit: I am also using my 2ch setup for home theater these days, which why I am looking for an amp with a bit more guts.